Control Speed of VFD using 0-10vdc analog

surveypay

I have an analog input device, a Rockwell ControlLogix PLC, A Bradley VFD, Logix5000 software. How is the best way to program the PLC to vary the speed of the VFD in response to the analog input device using 0-10 volt analog.

Hi you need to provide more info... are you merely mapping 0-100% required to the drive as 0-100% ? Is the input a trim? Is it a dancer bar?

Provide more info and a AB guy will help you more

Speed Control of VFD programming

Yes 0-100 percent and its an accumulation conveyor VFD motor in a production line for pulsing the product into a casepacker.

If you don't need to modify the analog input to the VFD, I would run the potentiometer directly to the VFD, and send a Digital output from the PLC to the VFD to start and stop the motor. The only reason to take the speed into the PLC, is if the VFD is networked, and it's ineffecient to run the speed cable to the VFD. Or you need to know the speed for other reasons in the PLC (ie... to control the pulse time of the VFD... don't forget to account for accel and decel time)

As CJD posted, we don't have a lot of information required to say what is best.

Trying to run on the limited info you gave us, if you are using a 0-10VDC analog signal for speed, then you are not using a fieldbus communication system but rather discreet wired analog and digital inputs.

You say that the 0-10V is to represent speed. I assume that you mean that 0V is minimum speed and 10V is maximum speed. Note that the minimum can and often should be more than zero speed. Set it for the minimum speed you actually intend to use. As for maximum speed, it doesn't necessarily have to be 60hz or 50hz if you are using that kind of motor. You can set maximum speed for less than the motor's base speed and as much as 25% more than base speed. Pick the highest speed you intend to actually use. You should not set the minimum speed below the speed where the motor cannot cool itself and the maximum speed above the safe speed of the motor and machine

In the drive, you will need to tell the drive where to look for the speed signal. Choices will include the keypad, the analog inputs, and fieldbus. You should probably connect the analog signal wiring to analog input 1 and set the drive parameter to look there. You will have to find the maximum and minimum speed parameters and set them too.

You will need a start/stop signal to control the drive but that's another story.

Hi, thats exactly what i need. My project for college is to control asyncronious motor with abb acs880 with plc s7-300 (have a panel with potentiometer and switches connected on s7-300). I dont have problem with wiring, my problem is analog programming for speed control. I know a little about analog signals but dont know how to make program for changing speed with potentiometer. Can someone help me please.