changing plc from AB to Automation direct

bbseay

How hard would it be to transfer a perfect AB program to another type of PLC? The program is over 700 rungs and to replace different components on a AB it would be less expensive to use Automation Direct. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

With different brand of PLC, I think you must to retype all of the program, cos each PLC manufacturer (software) use different formats.
Its realy hard, isn't it?

mtchufi

Ahaaa, to change or not to change?

How hard would it be to transfer a perfect AB program to another type of PLC?
Not hard at all if you are ready for the task of re-entering the program after you have converted from the AB language to Automation Direct. This may seem simple, but it is not routine nor is it a job for the uninitiated. The perfect program you have now is not a sure thing after the conversion. You alone have to answer that question.

The program is over 700 rungs and to replace different components on a AB it would be less expensive to use Automation Direct.

This statement is a bit confusing. Replace what components? I/O? Processor? What? Automation Direct may be less expensive as to the hardware, but the time you spend doing the conversion had better be short. If not, you will spend way more in the changeover than the savings in the hardware.

Of course this is just my opinion, but others will doubtless agree in part.

The extent of the task's difficulty depends greatly on the type of programming employed. Obvioulsy the program logic must be reentered to go to any other platform. You can do anything with the AutomationDirect.com (ADC) PLC you can with Allen Bradley (A-B), and each has its strengths and weaknesses.

If the A-B program is primarily straight ladder logic with sequencing, discrete logic, and timers & counters then the conversion won't be difficult. If the program uses a lot of "tricks" like bit shifting and compute blocks and indirect adressing the task is much more difficult.

If you have an operator interface or communications network the impact on these peripherals must also be considered.

The ADC is easier for setting up adressing and documentation, and the communications is simpler. The A-B has better math functions and "advanced" program functions. My experience is that developing a program from scratch and debugging is easier in the ADC because the programming interface is simpler.