what is integrated motion?

unsaint32

At work, we use Kinetix300 for single axis for indexing lateral movement of a tube feeder on a worm gear. I didn't know that Kinetix 300 is NOT for integrated motion. So, what makes Kinetix650 good for integrated motion control, where as Kinetix 300 is not? I guess, I should ask, what is the definition of "integrated motion"? Thanks.

I'm just teaching myself servo stuff. I'm curious about the distinction between kinetix 6500 and 300, the former having integrated control ability and the latter does not. I got this info from a youtube clip here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sptqTjw2HAg

about 23 seconds into it, the announcer says "when integrated motion control is not required .... use Kinetix 300."

The way I understand it is integrated motion is using CIP motion. Protocol stuff. The PLC and servo talk all the time without us making the PLC initiate communication with the servo.

In broad terms.
Think of it like the water running in a creek. The water runs all the time "integrated". Now think of a water hose you have to open and close the valve to start & stop the flow.

Do you understand the difference between explicit messaging and implicit messaging? This is where I thinm he integrated comes from.

Somewhat of a sales hype like Peter said. The integrated motion is for Logix basd controls only for.

Jeff's got the right idea.

"Integrated Motion", in the Rockwell Automation world, is the control of motion axes using the ControlLogix motion control architecture with Motion modules (1756-M02AE, M02SE, -HYD02), SERCOS-connected drives, or drives connected over EtherNet/IP using the CIP Motion protocol.

The ControlLogix motion architecture means you're using Axis objects, and using the built-in Motion instruction set in RSLogix 5000. This includes CompactLogix controllers that include motion functionality.

Examples:

A control system using a 1769-L18ER controller and Kinetix 300 drives treats the drives like I/O objects, and sends them index positions and start/stop/reset commands over an ordinary I/O connection. This is a "discrete motion" or "non-integrated motion" system.

A control system using a 1769-L18ERM controller and Kinetix 350 drives uses the CIP Motion protocol over Ethernet, and the drives are represented as Axis objects in the RSLogix 5000 project tree. The controller uses Logix 5000 motion instructions (Motion Servo On, Motion Axis Move, Motion Axis Stop, Motion Axis Gear, etc) to control the servomotors.

Now ask me about the differences between Simotion, Simatic, and Sinamics. I'll get it straight eventually, but having multiple technologies "integrated" inside a controller that takes five steps to perform a download takes some getting used to.

Now Ken
C'mon it's not complicated
I'm sure if I tried working with the AB products I would say its difficult

"Now ask me about the differences between Simotion, Simatic, and Sinamics. I'll get it straight eventually, but having multiple technologies "integrated" inside a controller that takes five steps to perform a download takes some getting used to."

If so then this 'integrated motion' has existed since the 1980s and it is just a new marketing buzz word.

The big change that I see is that motion controllers relied a lot on the PLC to do the sequencing. Back in the 1980s the PLC would issue commands through registers. Even back in the 1980s the TI545 didn't need any block transfer or message block, the motion controller could read commands right of the the V memory using a DMA like feature. The big difference is that motion control cards could execute the motion commands but had to wait for the PLC to issue the command.

I believe the G&L controller was practically a PLC/motion controller in one frame.

Today the motion controller can replace the PLC and do all the I/O and sequencing as well as the motion. Now that is 'Integrated Motion'.

Nothing is new except the buzz words.