FTV-Studio Global objects resizing

crawler009

Hello guys

i have a question about resizing of global objects in FactoryTalkView Studio (8.2).

I want to resize objects linked to global objects, but the inner components should remain the "old" size. Is that posible?

The background is: for example i have created a global door object. Now i inserted it 3 times in my worksheet. The 3 doors should have different sizes, but the sensor is always the same. If i resize the door, the sensor is also resized, which i dont want to. The Text size is constant if i unselect "size to fit".

FTV.png

Last edited:
I apologize if I am misunderstanding your problem, but it looks to me like you're trying to stretch a grouped object, which stretches all the children contained in the group as well. If you double click the group or ungroup the objects, you should be able to resize them individually.

Hi LoganB
yes, thats exacly my problem.
I cannot resize an object (sensor) in a object (door) that is still linked to the global object (door template). If i want to ungroup my object (door) i have to break the link to the global object, and the hole idea of using global objects is useless. Maybe its better to throw away the idea of using global objects anyway.

It likely has something to do with the way the global objects save memory. Resizing the entire group is fairly simple, so it doesn't break the link to the global object, but making multiple copies of a global object, each with different pieces being different sizes, you're basically using the same amount of memory as you would without them being global objects.

Just shooting from the hip here though, I'm sure some of the longer tenured forum members will have more insight.

I apologize if I am misunderstanding your problem, but it looks to me like you're trying to stretch a grouped object, which stretches all the children contained in the group as well. If you double click the group or ungroup the objects, you should be able to resize them individually.

Yes, maybe thats true. Or its just one more feature that was implemented in the first Version of RSView and never updated :)

Thanks anyway for your help.

The background is: for example i have created a global door object. Now i inserted it 3 times in my worksheet. The 3 doors should have different sizes, but the sensor is always the same. If i resize the door, the sensor is also resized, which i dont want to. The Text size is constant if i unselect "size to fit".
I'd put the elements with constant size in a global object and the background could be an image, primitive object or a second global object. That way I'd only need to reposition the first global object after resizing the backgroud.

The only way I could see being able to do exactly what your are asking is if you are using SE use VBA to resize/reposition the sensor to it's original at runtime, but I don't think it is worth the headache personally

The only way I could see being able to do exactly what your are asking is if you are using SE use VBA to resize/reposition the sensor to it's original at runtime, but I don't think it is worth the headache personally

I checked those options too. Or use animations to resize the sensor. But as you say, its not worth it.

@Phrog30
@nhatsen
actually there are 4 global properties. The sensor animation, the sensor name, the door name, and the door gasket animation. So i dont want to separate the one global object.
The idea was to create (a lot) more complex objects, as parts of the machine, wich i could easily insert and bind to data structures in the PLC.

But i'll go back to the classic copy/paste method, with "tag subsistution" for the data connections.

Last edited:
I'm using global objects but I can not change their size at all. What am I missing? I'd like to be able to stretch a rectangle for piping but they stay the size created on the global objects screen.

Last edited:
There's a Link Size parameter that you have to uncheck. When you define the global object, you can define whether the Link Size parameter is true or false by default - by default, the default is True, and so each instance of the global object you create has Link Size set to True, and you have to manually set it to False if you want to re-size it. If you know that you're going to want all the instances of the global object to be different sizes, change the Link Size default setting of the global object to False, and all instances will initially be created at the same size as the definition, but can then be resized.

Thanks, that worked. Took me a minute to find the settings as it don't ask when you create the object.