OMRON Controller?

bobich

Hi everyone!!Pls excuse my english!!!!
I am from Bulgaria and have some problems with this OMRON controller:
TPM1A-30CDR-A-V1
omron0045wn.jpg

This is like Taiwan version of CPM1A....
The outputs of this controller are relays ,and after 4 months of heavy duty work they became unusable because contacts stuck!!!
I want to replace this controller with same with transistors outputs!!!!
Can i use the same programme?I bought OMRON adaptor CPM1-CIF01!!!
What kind of controller is better:with source type or sink type outputs?
:cry: :cry: :cry:
ooooh, my photo is so big!!!Sorry,next time will resize!!!!

You should be able to use the same program. Make sure you retreive all memory areas while you are at it. Especially if you do not have a copyof the program from the mfgr. If the original program was in SYSWIN, you can use CX-Programmer to remove it and program the new one.

If your relays are sticking, then you might be overloading them. I do not think using transistors will benefit as much as using interposing relays. Let the PLC turn on a relay that can handle the actual load. Sometimes trying to drive some contactor coils or solenoids have disconnecting flyback issues that the relay contacts in the PLC are not rated for.

Relays do not last long on DC, especially with inductive load.
If the external relays are with DC coils then they are inductive load and you should switch to transistor outputs. Choose Sinking or Sourcing based on existing wiring.
If the load is on AC, transistor outputs cannot be used by definition.

No real advanages "in my opinion" to source over sink for inputs.

One switches from a +24 vdc to input and requires solid state devices to be PNP to drive the inputs.

The other pulls the "floating" input down to common level and requires solid state devices to be NPN to drive the inputs.

Combination PNP an NPN sensors are commonly availabe along with NAMUR devices that also work for both.

Solid state outputs do represent a significant improvement in reduced maintenance....especially for high useage....just watch for "off state current leakage" issues if you have a light load on a solid state AC output.

Good Luck...Ive had good performance from Omron Sysmac myself.

bobich said:
Hi everyone!!Pls excuse my english!!!!
I am from Bulgaria and have some problems with this OMRON controller:
TPM1A-30CDR-A-V1
omron0045wn.jpg

This is like Taiwan version of CPM1A....
The outputs of this controller are relays ,and after 4 months of heavy duty work they became unusable because contacts stuck!!!
I want to replace this controller with same with transistors outputs!!!!
Can i use the same programme?I bought OMRON adaptor CPM1-CIF01!!!
What kind of controller is better:with source type or sink type outputs?
:cry: :cry: :cry:
ooooh, my photo is so big!!!Sorry,next time will resize!!!!
Placing a diode in reverse across the coil can surpress the reverse voltage/current that's damaging the contacts in the plc

bob

I will not use internal PLC relays to drive external DC loads at all except LED indicators and external relays fitted with flywheel diodes - END OF LINE!

I would suggest you drive external relays that are designed for the job and are easy to replace. I fail to understand the fascination with using internal PLC relays to drive anything except very light loads. They are too hard to replace particularly in the middle of the night when you have a breakdown.

By the way, my favourite external relays are Omron G2R types - or the Allen Bradley equivalent. They are in fact the same relay and are extremely reliable.

I will not use internal PLC relays

I prefer to use solid state outputs myself. and then drive a relay with proper reverse diodes to protect the SSR in the PLC. I've been designing circuits like this for 30 years for use in high speed operations. When sized properly they will last a long time and are much faster than mechnical relays. Some people prefer mechnical relays for some reason and can't see the benefits of SSRs.

bob

Most PLC solid state outputs are transistor. That is what I always use with appropriate flywheel diode protected relays. For high speed outputs I use these to drive external solid state relays either transistor or SSR. I do not use SSR outputs from PLCs as transistors have proven to be more reliable for me.

I do not use SSR outputs from PLCs

SSR outputs are transistors. I believe you misunderstood me. i use SSR outputs and they are transistor outputs. Triac outputs would be for AC type outputs and are good for driving light AC loads.

bob