S7-1500 as a Profinet Device

Archie

I am looking at various option of exchanging data between a Bosch MTX controller and a Siemens S7-1500. The Bosch supports being a Profinet controller, so my thought was to set up the S7-1500 as a Profinet device. I have not been able to find any information explaining whether the S7 can be a Profinet device as well as a controller. This would allow me to set up the Bosch controller to see the S7 as a block of Profinet IO.

Does anyone know if this configuration is possible? Or know of any better ways. There will be about 50 bytes of data going from the S7 to the MTX.

I am looking at various option of exchanging data between a Bosch MTX controller and a Siemens S7-1500. The Bosch supports being a Profinet controller, so my thought was to set up the S7-1500 as a Profinet device. I have not been able to find any information explaining whether the S7 can be a Profinet device as well as a controller. This would allow me to set up the Bosch controller to see the S7 as a block of Profinet IO.

Does anyone know if this configuration is possible? Or know of any better ways. There will be about 50 bytes of data going from the S7 to the MTX.

Definitely possible. Take a look at I-Device, which is a Profinet function allowing simultaneous operation as a Controller and an IO device. It could support up to around 1KB of data each way, and can even support safety communication between S7 PLCs.

https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/ww/en/view/109478798

You can configure the 1500 as I-Device, which is a Profinet-IO Device.
There is an option to export the configuration as GSDML file, which you can import into your Profinet controller.

I've done this with a 1500 as PN-IO-device with a S7-400 as PN-IO-controller.

It needs no extra license or software.
You have to enable this in the hardware settings, and then configure the number of bytes you want to exchange.