Micro 850 / AB Connected Components Workbench

TPCTJ

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello All,
I am wondering if anyone else has tried the new CCW from Allen Bradley? We are trying to program a Micro850 and it seems the CCW has gone backwards as far as user friendliness and capabilities compared to 500 or 5000....

It keeps freezing up and shutting down and I am wondering if this is a problem with the VMware or my PC...or the dang software.

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

T.J.

I used it for a project... It ain't 500 or 5000. there were some times I pulled the few hairs I have left outta my head, but by the time I was done.... I don't know what to say... I got a controller with a panelview for about 700 bucks and it seems to work pretty well. You duplicate that with COmpactLogix and its more like 2 grand... but it ain't CompactLogix

I actually liked the panelviews containing the software themselves, but I got a 300 and it had this nasty little quirk of an input losing the decimal point and just turning to an integer. Since the applications' input was from 0 to 3 that was a problem, but it seems to have quit doing that ... haven't heard anything out of it for several months.

I'd try it again, but it aint 5000

Last edited:
Hi

I have used it twice and I think the second was just to check as
Some times when I use Software first I can just hate it as it's new.
The second time I used this I remembered that I did hate it and I was right.
I found it a bit if a pain but for the money it was good I think,
For small projects now I will stick to the ab 1100 or 1000 if I don't need to online edit

Just my taught

Donnchadh

Hello All,
I am wondering if anyone else has tried the new CCW from Allen Bradley? We are trying to program a Micro850 and it seems the CCW has gone backwards as far as user friendliness and capabilities compared to 500 or 5000....

It keeps freezing up and shutting down and I am wondering if this is a problem with the VMware or my PC...or the dang software.

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

T.J.
I use it with VMWare, there are quirks to port addressing in VMWare that most people have to experience and get through, i.e. mistakes you will make at least once and learn from. There have also been issues with version changes to VMWare that must be performed or you get locked up too.

It's ok.... I have done other PlcOpen systems so I am familiar with the instruction set but the lack of "Download Changes" is a killer.

Also really need to be able to save the current PLC data values into CCW even if it is only to the "Initial" values.

Other than that I can use it.

Ken....any update on when the Developer Edition will be released?

Thank you ALL for the input!

I/we(my team) have learned a lot about this CCW software in the last couple of weeks!
The newest version, 6.0, only runs on W7 and our Virtual Machine running the previous version was/is XP so we had to create a whole new VM for this and finally got the project DONE!
It still doesn't seem to make sense saving a few bucks with hardware but taking so much extra time learning the new SW interface! The old RS500 with MicroLOGIX is a great rusty-trusty software we are all familiar with.

Again, THANK YOU.

Best regards,

T.J.