Siemens Drive Monitor - manually Run

Mad_Poet

Dear Sirs,
I have several Siemens MasterDrives (of dubious parentage) and I'm not sure if they are operational or not. I have an old laptop running XP with a real serial port and the Drivemonitor program. I can access the drives and upload / download parameter sets no problem.

I do not (yet) have cables to attach a spare motor to these drives.

Installing the drive in the machine to test it is a pain the tail and could conceivably lead to a catastrophic failure which I desperately wish to avoid.

My question. If I have the boss get me some cables, can I power up and connect everything up on the bench and run the motor testing out everything in the drives?

Poet.

Depends
Are these ac-ac Masterdrives or dc-ac?
If dc-ac you will need a rectifier unit
Also I assume your shop has 3 phase?

But yes. You can test them

Yes, these are AC-AC Masterdrives that I need to test.

And, yes, I have the three phase 440 Volts to power them with.

As well as a rig for re-forming the capacitors.

Any suggestions as to how or where in the DriveMonitor program I could turn on the drive?

Poet.

Drive Monitor will have an area at the bottom where you can take control
(somewhat depends on your firmware)

From your previous Masterdrive posts, I will assume your using DriveES

md enable.jpg

OK. I see, thanks.
I believe the drive firmware is Version 1.5.5.
I'm going to be busy what is left of this week . . .
Hopefully in a week or two I'll get back to this project.
Poet.

Thanks again.

At the moment I don't think so.

The system is running under Step 7 . . . The computers in this system are running Windows XP. (I have some older computers I am hanging on to for this reason.)

Could a Sinamics drive be used as a 'plug and play' replacement for the MasterDrives?
Poet.

Hmmm.
Replace our Masterdrives with Sinamics . . .
We are using Profibus and the Simolink. I was reading up on the Sinamics, says it
will do Profibus, but no simolink. There is some sort of box to do the simolink.

Just out of curiosity, one of my machines has over forty 4Kw MasterDrives.
The panels where the drives are mounted are jam packed full. (Each
drive is in its own panel with lots of other stuff jammed in there.) Is it feasible
to replace them one at a time, budget and stuff breaking dictating timing . . .

Poet.

The equivalent to simolink for Sinamics is called Sinamics Link.
It’s a peer to peer network
You really have to change these out per machine. Not piece meal
It’s a whole conversation. Not a few sentences on a forum