FactoryTalk Vie ME - Alarm Pop-up stuck on screen

skyfox

Lifetime Supporting Member
Good Morning all,

Have an odd problem with Panel View + alarm pop-up not closing after non latching alarm condition(s) clears automatically after the alarm condition is no longer true. This happens only with warning alarms not requiring operator intervention to clear them. If an operator is near the screen while the alarm is active and presses the acknowledge button, then the alarm pop-up screen closes automatically, provided no other alarms are active that hasn't been acknowledged. But if the alarm clears by itself before an operator acknowledges the alarm, the alarm pop-up screen stays on the screen with a blank alarm message. No matter how many times the acknowledge button is pressed, pop-up screen cannot be closed short of a system re-boot.

Currently I have a close screen button on it as a workaround where an supervisor login is required before closing the screen. Not a good workaround. Has anyone seen this before or knows how to get around this condition?

This is true with FactoryTalk View ME Versions 7, 8, & 9 as well as one of my old projects RSView ME from 2008 that I loaded up and added self clearing warning alarms on to. Upgrading to anything other than Version 9 is not an option at this time.

Thanks.

...But if the alarm clears by itself before an operator acknowledges the alarm...

If the alarms "clear by themselves" why even declare them?

SOP when working with alarms and/or faults is to require operator intervention in order to clear/reset any alarm/fault when the condition that triggered it is not true anymore.

Latch the alarm/fault condition within the controller logic application and require HMI acknowledgement ('Ack Alarm' button) in order to reset the logic (when the alarm/fault condition is false) then use the 'Clear Alarm' FTVS button followed by the 'Close' (Alarm) Display FVTS button to close the Alarm Display when all the alarms were acknowledged and cleared.