Ti-545, 555, 565 & 575

Terry Woods

"maintpro" posted a TI question. Then ilikbeer ( "I like beer" - I'm pretty sure that this is a trait that is shared by all TI-Lovers) came back and said, "Finally a PLC I deal with every day."

I wonder how many real TI-users are out there. When I say real, I mean users whose primary system is TI.

I too am a TI-user. I have a couple 545's, a 555-1103, a 555-1106 (the -1106 is way cool!), a few S7-2XX's and ugh… a Honeywell.

I'm curious as to what systems you guys might have, the particular programming software you are using, and the Operator Interface program you are using.

My programming interface is TiSoft (Ver 7.1). My Operator Interface Program is Control Vision Unit (CVU). Both are DOS-based.

So… any TI-guys out there? How do you like the TI environment?

hi Terry,

I am an S7 2xx lover, but I dont know about TI, is it the same in the programming manner ?

what is defferance between the two of'em.

I only work with S7 200 PLCs, simple, every thing you need right there, and it never lets you down :D

regards.

Except for the PLC5 the TI505 was one of the first I dealt with, I still have TISoft somewhere and a very large satchel with all the manuals for the software and hardware. I also had a copy of SoftShop too.

I am curious why you havent upgraded to SoftShop? I know it offers some features that I dont think TISoft did like viewing multiple programs at same time, enet communication, logging etc that can be placed in Excel files. Also has a feature for working with PID, alarms called SmartTune. If I remember correctly it will convert any TISoft file automatically.

They use to offer a trade up option that lowers the cost of the software considerably but cant find the link for that page.

TI Rules!!!!!!!!: Only because I know it

This may be a treat for some of you to see. This is a hodge-podge of PLCs in the TI line.

We have:
A couple different 305 series
Several 425s and 435s these run along with some Indromat Servo drives
And the whole line of 545-555 (1101s all the way up to one 1106)
I have not had the chance to experience every feature on these yet
But I am learning.

We use Ver. 7.1 and lower depending on which laptop you grab.
One of the older laptops here still has Windows 95 and that is the one I prefer the most because I can bring up several MS-DOS windows and work that way. On our newer laptops we have XP and DOS partioned and I do not know how, if at all possible, to do multiple windows here. Only the DOS partition would run TiSoft. We could not get it to run under the DOS-emulator in XP (Not me, there is a DOS guru here).

As for the HMIs: CVU 10000 (This thing is so old and slow, it has a hand crank on the side)
CTC PS5 PowerStations (These things rock!! But I have just started learning the PofiBus language. These had been converted from Access 4000) I can not wait to find out all of the features these have but are not being used.

I am just an electrician, so one minute I am designing a new explosion-proof Coater system to meet new NFPA/OSHA/NEC code along with State, Local, and corporate rules, and the next I am telling the mechanic who called me about a solenoid valve not working, that it will not function properly until he turns the air valve on. (Deer-in-the-headlights-stare)

I study programming when I can, because this is fun, and they pay pretty darn good too. There is no one else here to teach me or ask any questions to which makes forums such as this extemely valuable to someone like me.

YOU GURUS also RULE. I really mean that, thanks.

Back to the subject:
We us Profibus, a big network on Peerlink (easy to understand but pretty limited in its capabilities), TI-Way, Basic modules (I have not had to get into these yet), and just before I arrived here this company was bought by a holdings company, corporate came in and removed some of their H-1 network because their IT guys did not support it and one of the NIC cards had failed. I would like to someday get that back on-line or get them to buy some Ethernet cards. The only one I can find for the 545-555 racks is the CP2576A (DO NOT QUOTE ME ON THAT NUMBER, as the name implies I like Beer and I may have lost that particular synaspe) But that card is $2500 for a simple Ethernet card.

I have not dealt with anything above or newer than these in the TI/Siemens line. Now we are buying AB. If Siemens kept some support and would offer help easier I would stay with them, but I do not have much luck getting assistance from them on the models we have.

My company was all TI until Siemens bought them, since around 1994 we have been buying all AB.
We are a somewhat large specialty chemical company, and TI is/was the best for process control.

I currently have three LARGE systems, and one smaller one, all have lots of analog I/O.

1. 565 w/128k mem card, 500 series I/O (getting harder to find), 6 bases,
HMI is Fix32 version 4(installed 1985)

2. 565 w/128k mem card, 500 & 505 I/O, 3 bases, HMI is Fix32 ver 7.
(installed 1991)

3. 565 w/128k mem card, 505 I/O, 10 bases HMI is Fix32 ver 7.
We also use a batching system that was custom written in Quick basic, it uses the TI task codes to load several hundred V's to the plc memory, then the operator presses a panel button to load and run the recipe. We used to have an HMI that was a quick basic application also, but replaced it with Fix32. (installed 1992)

4.565 w/128k mem card, 505 I/O, 14 bases, Interact HMI. (installed 1994)

We have an older sister plant out in the Mid-West that has 10-15, 560, 560T, & 565 systems.

We are still using Tisoft version 5.x, I have ver 6.0 but haven't installed it, the salesman used to give the upgrades to us, but not anymore. We bought one copy of softshop but it didn't work correctly. Could not do an on line searchs. According to Siemens, we need to upgrade our firmware for softshop to work. I ordered the upgrade, delivery is 14-16 weeks.

The sales guy has told us that the 505 series is obsolete, and Siemens will no longer support/sell in sometime soon. They are pushing us to go with S7, then we can reuse our I/O via profibus.

We hate Siemens for what they did to the TI plc line, poor support, increased prices, always being pushed to drop TI and buy S7. We will not even consider using S7.

We have a long term plan in place to start replacing the TI systems with AB Control Logix units over the next 5-10 years, smallest one first.

Ken

Last edited:
Each hardware is projected to take care of to the specifications
techniques, unhappyly (perhaps for commercial secret) they do not publish the document of the specifications that it originated "to caracter" of thePLC

Good moment. To display the classification of the strong points.

In the end it adds links, officers and news of this PLC. (Until the moment I do not know it nor in album:( )

Isn't this outrageous?

Originally posted by Ken Moore The sales guy has told us that the 505 series is obsolete, and Siemens will no longer support/sell in sometime soon. They are pushing us to go with S7, then we can reuse our I/O via profibus.
Ken [/B]

The TI505 is 'obsolete'? Consider the thread a couple weeks ago about the slow serial bus is that the S7 uses and compare that to the TI505 interface SFIC chip that has 'pass through' and pseudo DMA. The TI505 has the best back plane of any PLC until the Control Logix appeared.

We made, actually still make, motion controllers for the TI505. The TI505's pseudo DMA allowed the motion controller to directly read and write from V memory. The I/O registers were use more like pointer to where the data would be read from or written too. One could also use the serial port on the CPU frount panel to communicate directly with the motion controllers in different slots in the back plane.

I thought TISoft was barely functional. It worked and the there were no surprises. After a while you learn not to expect much and then you aren't disappointed.

I would rather program a TI505 than an S7-300. S7-200s are OK the best for programming and one of my favorites. It it too bad it can't be a Profibus DP master or communicate with Ethernet. I have a s7-214. We use it for testing.

BTW, I have a 525,535,545,555, and 565.

I would rather program a TI505 than an S7-300. S7-200s are OK the best for programming and one of my favorites. It it too bad it can't be a Profibus DP master or communicate with Ethernet. I have a s7-214. We use it for testing.

I am confused Peter, the CP243-1 is an Ethernet module for the S7-200: http://www4.ad.siemens.de/dnl/zE2ODI3AAAA_13283549_HB/CP243-1_e.pdf

The S7-200 can be a master with other S7-200, look at Chapter 7: http://www4.ad.siemens.de/dnl/DY1NjExNQAA_1109582_HB/S7-200_e.pdf

I've presently got about a dozen 505 applications on the floor. It's made up of a who's who of the cpu's, we've got all flavors of the 545 (including the Lite) and the 555. We're doing alot of analog in our process. We use Profibus extensively for I/O but also including OP's and drives; we also have all of the 505's networked peer to peer using either the DP couplers or the FMS module. We use WonderWare InTouch via the CTI 2572 modules (10 & 100Mb) for main process visualization. We've been using TiSoft since the dawn of time, presently at the 7.x version; and slowly migrating to the Windows based SoftShop. We do some special things as well, such as the Basic module interfacing to a Reliance AutoMax DCS, 6MT I/O channel controller for some of the older installations, FIM for Profibus on the older app.'s and for SPI to mold temperature controllers. Also have quite a few S7-200's and S5-95U's hanging off of the Profibus; most of the S7-200's are also utilizing ASi. We also used to have some 305's that came in about the time that the 95U's did; all of these are slowly being phased out by the 200's (got 15 - 20 of those as well).

I cut my teeth on the 5TI and PM550, and the 545 was just an awesome PLC when it was introduced. We'll be staying with the 505 PLC's for as long as they're available, I think CTI will insure this. On the Profibus network we use MicroMaster drives, MasterDrives, S7-300 hardware with the ET200M, S5-100 hardware with the ET200U, ET200L, ET200L-SC hardware, and ET200S hardware. The ET200S has some really cool HSC input modules for pulling in an encoder for a relatively low cost.

I guess that's all (for now).

Isn't it funny how when you think about something.... more keeps coming to you?

We've also got several PC's hanging off of the Profibus network; most are running custom vision applications where either they feed information to the 505 or it feeds them.

The way that you could hang an OP7 or OP17 off of the Profibus on a 505 is pretty cool too. Recently did this with a TP170B, that wasn't too bad either.

Tom

Still sober, but still on the clock

Ken Moore;
You asked if I had ever checked out the CP1434-TCP?
No, I have not. But I will soon. We have a bunch of the CP1434-TF Sinec H-1 network cards. but I am told that is a proprietary code and is not worth my time to learn because it does not work with all formats. I am not even sure why, so I have taken their word for it.
Is the TCP card universal?

Again, I am just a beginner to your guys level of abilities. I have come a long way on my own, but reading this forum shows me how far I am behind.

Rick Densing;
You asked if it was "I like, or I lick, beer".
If its cold, wet, and open, the simple answer is YES. I never claimed to be right as my wife will a-test too.

Back to the TI 545s and above:
I do not know how anyone in their right mind could call them obsolete. They have been able to handle everything I have asked them to do and are capable of alot, I do not know how to do.
Remote Base I/O is almost too simple to configure.
You do not have to address each I/O by its slot and point for every single contact in the ladders.
I think it has the easiest on-line editing. (I am sure plenty of you may disagree, but it is easy for me and I drink)
Peerlink is a piece of cake if you only need limited communications.

Too me the list goes on and on.

I like them almost as much as my beer!!!!! (Hope the wife did not hear that)