rswho unrecognized devices

MLHAutomation

I have a PV600 that I am trying to update. I am using DH485.
When I go online with rswho in panelbuilder32 I can see devices but they are all "unrecognized" with red X's. I think I need to udate EDS files but I can't remember the details to do this. Can anyone help?

A red 'X' means it can't 'see' the device at all at the address it has. There is a communication problem.

If it has a yellow '?' it means it can see 'something' but doesn't recognize it. Even if there is an identifying name the information provided does not match an EDS that it has. That's when you go looking for EDS's.

As far as I understand, a device, when interrogated, responds with a name and a long number. The 'long number' correlates with the file name of the EDS. If there is no matching EDS then, aside from the identification, RSLinx really doesn't know about the item.

I have both red X and yellow ?

In the RSLinx Who there is a both red and yellow. i think i need to do the EDS update. I ahve done this before i can't remember how? Can some one refresh my memory?

And after you get the EDS file, you will register it with the EDS Hardware Installation Tool. This will be found under: Rockwell Software - RSLinx - Tools.

Just to reinforce what Bernie said

A red 'X' means it can't 'see' the device at all at the address it has. There is a communication problem.

Can you give us the full model number of the Panelview 600 ?

What PLC are you trying to communicate with and what comms does it use, or is setup for.

problem solved

Hi Guys!

I got this resolved. I had to go into the PV600 and change the node address. I then unplugged the flat DH485 connector and had just the RJ45 (CAT5)on the 1747-uic connected. I was able then to see the PV600. Some how the UIC address conflicts and you can't change it, I think. So just change the PV Node #. Just don't forget to change the node number back or you will get a comms error!

Thanks for your help!

Sounds to me as if you used address 0 or 1 or the highest number, possibly in this case 31.

There are so many items that use one of those 3 as there default system address that a good rule of thumb is to avoid them when allocating addresses.

Some how the UIC address conflicts and you can't change it, I think.

Thanks for your help!

FYI, the UIC's station number ( node address) can be changed. See picture below of RSLinx's configuration screen shot of a newer version of RSLinx's UIC driver.

UIC.jpg