Siemens Read Text File

JasonWade

I have to read a text file from a USB stick somehow extract the relevant data into a PLC.

The system is based around a 840DSL NCU730.3 and a MP277.

The NCU/PLC has USB ports that are described in the manual as for 'service use only' so I guess I can disregard them, which is a pity as I would have preferred to write PLC code to read the file.

So I think I'm left with the MP277 USB ports and reading the file with a HMI script, which I'm less familiar with.

Am I looking in the right direction? Will it be possible to read the file and extract the data into tags? Also is it possible to write a new file to the USB after the data is edited?

Any help would be appreciated, even if it's to tell me I'm going the wrong way.

Cheers

Last edited:
It is possible both to read and write text files from an MP277 using script

Here is a simple example that opens and reads a textfile

Code:
Dim fso,f,temp
Set fso = CreateObject("FileCtl.FileSystem")
Set f = CreateObject("FileCtl.File")

'open text file
f.open "\Flash\MyTxt.txt",1,1 'fsModeInput,fsAccessReadWrite 
Do
temp = f.LineInputString 'read out line by line

'Loop until end of file
Loop While f.EOF = False

f.Close 'close the text file
Set f = Nothing
Set fso = Nothing