Consumed Tag From Newer Controller

Briankr32

I'm trying to configure a consumed tag in an L61 processor using v.19 of RSLogix 5000. The tag producer is an L71S processor, which doesn't appear in my module list. I was hoping to find an add-on profile for the L71S, but haven't had any luck. Am I on the right track with this, or are they simply incompatible?

Just configure the producer as a 1756-L61S. I'm pretty sure that I've done similar in the past - as long as you substitute a controller that's got the same effective communications path, it should work just fine.

If you had a 1769-L30ER producing a tag, you couldn't configure it as a 1769-L32E, because on the L30ER the ethernet port is considered part of the PLC, whereas on the L32E the ethernet part is part of a separate "daughter card". So the comms data to/from an L32E has an extra "hop" to make, from the ethernet card to the PLC. Whereas the L30ER just receives the message directly. So in that case, it wouldn't work.

Likewise if the producer was a new 1756-L80E, and was connected to the network via it's embedded ethernet port. The comms path for a L80E is direct to the PLC; whereas for an L71, it's via a separate ethernet module and across the backplane.

But L71S and L61S both use the same "path" - into your ethernet module in slot X, onto the backplane to slot Y, and into your PLC. At that point, I don't think your PLC will care what model of PLC is giving it the requested data, just as long as the data is in the location it goes looking for it.

Just configure the producer as a 1756-L61S. I'm pretty sure that I've done similar in the past - as long as you substitute a controller that's got the same effective communications path, it should work just fine.

If you had a 1769-L30ER producing a tag, you couldn't configure it as a 1769-L32E, because on the L30ER the ethernet port is considered part of the PLC, whereas on the L32E the ethernet part is part of a separate "daughter card". So the comms data to/from an L32E has an extra "hop" to make, from the ethernet card to the PLC. Whereas the L30ER just receives the message directly. So in that case, it wouldn't work.

Likewise if the producer was a new 1756-L80E, and was connected to the network via it's embedded ethernet port. The comms path for a L80E is direct to the PLC; whereas for an L71, it's via a separate ethernet module and across the backplane.

But L71S and L61S both use the same "path" - into your ethernet module in slot X, onto the backplane to slot Y, and into your PLC. At that point, I don't think your PLC will care what model of PLC is giving it the requested data, just as long as the data is in the location it goes looking for it.

This works. Done it repeatedly.

If you do this, make sure you document it... You can do this in the "Description" panel of the remote producer.

Someone, somewhere down the line, is going to be looking at the I/O configuration with a very puzzled look on his face.

That description will be worth its weight in gold.