FTView Studio RSLinx Shortcut "Apply" Button

mjevans1

I have a PanelView Plus 700 and a Compact Logix L23E V19. I am trying to apply the PLC to the shortcut but the "Apply" button never comes active. It is always greyed out. I have tried to restart my computer and also did a repair on RSLinx Enterprise. Please somebody help me figure this out.

What version of FactoryTalk View Studio are you running ?

RSLinx Enterprise needs to identify the highlighted device as a supported controller before the Apply button will be highlighted.

If the controller itself isn't highlighted, you can't Apply the shortcut. The most common mistake is that the Ethernet daughtercard is highlighted, not the CPU.

In that model of CompactLogix, the CPU is considered to be in Slot 0 and the Ethernet daughtercard in Slot 3 of the CompactLogix controller backplane object. In the current 5370 series CompactLogix controllers, the CPU and the Ethernet daughtercard are both considered the same slot.

And if your revision of RSLinx Enterprise doesn't recognize the CPU model and firmware revision, it won't allow you to Apply the shortcut because it doesn't think the CPU is a supported device.

RSLE_L23E.png

You'd be surprised how often people find the answers to their questions by doing a search of these forums.

With that in mind, can you tell us what you did to fix the problem?

OG

Same issue as OP

Hi, this is my first post here. Sorry to bump this old thread, but I seem to have the same problem as the OP,and chose not to create an entirely new thread. Hope that's okay. Since the OP did not follow up with the fix, not sure what to look for next.

My Apply button never becomes active. As you can see from the attached screenshot, I am using a 1769-L18ERM-MBB1B CompactLogix controller.

Obviously, I cannot get the PanelView Plus 7 to communicate with the PLC. I've chosen the path to the ACD file for the tags, but it won't allow me to choose the CPU as my shortcut. I don't understand where I've gone wrong here.

Any Ideas?

shortcut-apply-inactive.png

You have not defined a 'Shortcut' yet hence there is nothing to "Apply" to.

In the left pane click 'Add', enter a 'Name' for the Shortcut and then you'll be able to "Apply" with the CompactLogix highlighted within the right pane.

Last edited:
You have not defined a 'Shortcut' yet hence there is nothing to "Apply" to.

In the left pane click 'Add', enter a 'Name' for the Shortcut and then you'll be able to "Apply" with the CompactLogix highlighted within the right pane.

Many thanks for the reply. I have done that several times, and after applying and hitting OK to save the configuration, the PanelView still cannot read from the controller. The error on the PanelView is "the item is no longer available" for every tag. It's like it's not looking in the right place, although I did copy from design to runtime. Each time, I create a new runtime mer file, and send it to the PanelView with the same result.

I should have specified earlier that I've been through this a few times, and have started over.

Last edited:
Did you verify the Runtime on the development PC ('Running Man')?

Is your Shortcut's name identical to the one (square brackets) appended to each of the HMI application's tags?

Is your application's networking topology identical for both the Design (Local) and Runtime (Target) scenarios?

Did you verify the Runtime on the development PC ('Running Man')?

Is your Shortcut's name identical to the one (square brackets) appended to each of the HMI application's tags?

Is your application's networking topology identical for both the Design (Local) and Runtime (Target) scenarios?
Yes,tested with a simulation and everything worked fine. And yes, and yes to the other two questions.

Here is a Rockwell video on how to setup the communications in your project
It's from their "create first application" video; the comms start at 1:35
https://youtu.be/NqRLZ2PKJk0?t=93

This video shows how to setup the PanelView for communications, which you also need to do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvYhDPtdcAo

The videos are painfully simply, but each step is important.
I'll watch the videos. This is my fourth project using a PanleView with a CompactLogix controller, but this is the first time I've experienced this problem. It's probably something simple that I'm overlooking on my end, so I'll definitely look at the videos to see if I've missed something this time.

Thank you both for your help and patience. Leaving work for the day, will revisit Monday. Have a great weekend everyone.

I watched the videos. Yes, very simple. I've setup these projects before. This is the first time I've had this issue.

I did notice in the terminal settings, there were no devices in the Ethernet tree under RSLinx Enterprise Communications which I found odd, though admittedly, this is the first time I've ever even looked at that setting before, so not sure what's supposed to be there.

I'm going to manually add the shortcut for the runtime target instead of copying the design local as I usually do, and see if it makes a difference. Kind of scratching my head here.

So, same issue. Tag errors. Cannot get the terminal to communicate with the PLC for the life of me.

As you can see, the test of the application works fine, and I'm able to control the Ethernet/IP valve stack through the simulation. Just not from the terminal, because it's not read/writing the tags.

Is it possible to do something along the way when you first set the project up, that can't be remedied later? A point of no return, so to speak?

It's a very simple test screen and PLC program, simply turning outputs off and on. It's very easy to just delete everything and start over. Is this recommended?

Last edited:
You will probably need to 'clean up' the Linx Enterprise cache.

Remove the Shortcut and close the FTVS application.

Turn off RSLinx Enterprise which is running as a Windows Service (Computer/Manage/Services and Applications/Services/RSLinx Enterprise/Stop)

Reboot the PC, open up the development application and Add the same Shortcut name as the one appended to the application's tags and properly 'route' it to the controller; Apply and Verify it.

Hopefully this will do the trick.

Thank you very much, dmargineau. I will try that now and report back.

My local tech support is back in the office today, so I've started an email correspondence with him as well. Whatever I find out that I've done wrong here, I'll follow up so that anyone else in the future can hopefully use the info, whether it was my mistake, or other.

Thanks again for your time.