Rockwell BOOTP/DHCP Server on Windows 7

kdcui

Lifetime Supporting Member
Anyone having issues with getting the BOOTP.DHCP Server working properly in Windows 7?

I can't seem to detect DHCP requests from devices.

It works fine when I load it up in an XP VM.

Try (temporarily) disabling the firewall. Win 7 has a more aggressive firewall. You can add an exception for it if you need to use that tool frequently.

OG

Same issue here! Disabling the Win7 Firewall did not work! I can't get any Bootp Message in the upper textpanel. To enter MAC and IP manually also has no effect!
Is there another idea to solve this problem? The version of the Bootp-DHCP-Server is 2.3.2.0

Last edited:
Warning, this post is about a product I sell.

Because of the frustrations you are experiencing we developed the Ethernet IP Address Explorer DHCP and Bootp Server.
http://www.theautomationstore.com/ethernet-ip-address-explorer-dhcp-and-bootp-server/

It allows you to plug into a device and set the IP address without dealing with firewalls and OS compatibility issues.

It will also
-Detect unknown IP detection
-Service DHCP/BOOTP requests
-Change static IP address (Target device must comply with Ethernet/IP CIP specification)
-Enable Bootp or DHCP to static or dynamic(Target device must comply with Ethernet/IP CIP specification)

Hi all

I have posted here in the past that I also have had problems getting this to work on windows 7. I have so stated I bought one of these units from the automation store and I find it brilliant for both the price and it actually does work and has not let me down. I am in Ireland and it arrived within a couple of days.

Donnchadh

When its built into the plc it makes life a lot easier. All the systems I design almost exclusively use ethernet devices (drives, hmi panels, remote io, etc), being able to setup DHCP in the plc means one less hassle to worry about.

I tried to fix this. It definetly not works! The only way is to run it on Win XP. Rockwell is a pain in the ***!!

To run in as an admin also doesn't work.

I've successfully used Rockwell's BOOTP server on windows 7. Not sure what made it work, it was a straight out of the box install, pushing an IP address to a Beckhoff I/O Controller.

All I can guess at is that my user is an administrator on the machine, UAC is completely disabled, firewall is disabled (not off, disabled), and I was connected to the device through a switch.

To get it working, I first ran the Start -> Programs -> Rockwell Software -> Factory Talk Tools -> Windows Firewall Config Utility. You will need admin privlidges to do this. I then ran the BOOTP/DHCP utility as administrator. Definitely a pain in the arm, but it's a good excuse to get the IT guy to do some work.

To get it working, I first ran the Start -> Programs -> Rockwell Software -> Factory Talk Tools -> Windows Firewall Config Utility. You will need admin privlidges to do this. I then ran the BOOTP/DHCP utility as administrator. Definitely a pain in the arm, but it's a good excuse to get the IT guy to do some work.

We also encountered problems. That's running Windows 7 in combination with this BOOTP/DHCP server utility from Rockwell.

When I monitor the NIC with Wireshark, I can see the BOOTP requests (from the PLC) coming in just fine.

The BOOTP server utility also displays a line in its log window as well.
But it still doesn't assign an IP to the PLC.

I don't see any answer from the server utility going back to the Rockwell PLC in Wireshark!

So it's probably Windows blocking the BOOTP/DHCP answer packet.

After quite some time of cursing and experimenting we simply gave up and connected to the ethernet module with an USB cable.
This allowed us to go online and we immediately set the IP-address through Logix designer.

BTW: In our case both firewall and UAC were switched off. Or at least that was what the Windows configuration dialogs were telling us ;-)

From the top...

kdcui said:
Anyone having issues with getting the BOOTP.DHCP Server working properly in Windows 7?...

Try (temporarily) disabling the firewall...

kalimoto1 said:
Same issue here! Disabling the Win7 Firewall did not work!...

mardokondo said:
Try to run program as administrator-i have the same issue and it works.

kalimoto1 said:
...To run in as an admin also doesn't work.

Christoff84 said:
I've successfully used Rockwell's BOOTP server on windows 7...

All I can guess at is that my user is an administrator on the machine, UAC is completely disabled, firewall is disabled (not off, disabled)...

AustralIan said:
To get it working, I first ran the Start -> Programs -> Rockwell Software -> Factory Talk Tools -> Windows Firewall Config Utility. You will need admin privlidges to do this. I then ran the BOOTP/DHCP utility as administrator...

edw1983 said:
We also encountered problems...running Windows 7 in combination with this BOOTP/DHCP server...

BTW: In our case both firewall and UAC were switched off...

OK. Lot's of advice and feedback there on disabling Windows Firewall and UAC or running BOOTP/DHCP Server as an Administrator.

However, a key ingredient is missing so far and may be the final stumbling block for some or all of you for whom it will not work after trying the above.

Rockwell also advise users to disable any Anti-Virus software they may be running.

Note: For those unsure, Anti-Virus and Firewall are not the same thing.

For example, you may have Symantec, McAfee, Kaspersky, AVG, Avanti, etc., Anti-Virus software running in the background. Some of these Anti-Virus products can potentially block BOOTP/DHCP-Server from getting through.

As everyone's setup may be different, that extra piece of advice may or may not apply to you.

On our 3 programming workstations, BOOTP/DHCP Server runs fine...

We do not install or run Anti-Virus software.
BOOTP.exe is add to the Allow list in our Firewalls.
UAC is disabled by default.
We do not run BOOTP/DHCP Server as Administrator.
Or in any Compatibility Mode.

I hope that helps some you out in the future.

Regards,
George

Excellent advice George - the only other thing I'd add to it is to disable any other network interfaces (like wifi).

Everything I do happens in a VM, so when I'm setting up IP addresses, I actually remove all network interfaces from the PC except the one I'm connected to the DHCP device with. Firewalls turned off, UAC turned off, works like a charm every time :)

In my experience if you have more than one listed ethernet interface then BootP server will not work with W7.

And this includes vmware or virtualbox virtual NICs.

Anything listed other than the built in NIC and BootP will probably not work.

XP running in a VM will work though if setup correctly.

Funny I should post that...just now a colleague rang me with exactly that problem - once he disconnected the wifi network connection from the VM it worked instantly!

Maybe I should post something about suddenly coming into a large sum of money...