Keyence IV series to Logix500

jonfarrugia

I've been looking for examples on how to connect a keyence IV series camera over ethernet/IP to either a Logix5000 processor. I've contacted keyence but they had no examples to provide. Any help would be appreciated!

I happen to have a Keyence IV-500C on my desk, connected to a 1756-L61 ControlLogix controller over EtherNet/IP.

I'm very impressed with the ease-of-use of the camera with ControlLogix.

I have a skeleton application that illustrates the I/O connection and data layout; I'll zip and post it shortly.

This sample application has no documentation at all, but it should illustrate how to configure the Generic EtherNet/IP Module object and a subroutine that I used to brute-force distribute the complex Input Assembly into a structure of tags.

IV-500 fetch status

Hello Ken Roach,

Thank you for providing the sample code to explain how to fetch tag from IV-500 system. I have one question about the communication between PLC. In your main routine, you use MSG to fetch the status of IV-500C status, but why not use CPS directly copy from the tag? Is it because for double checking the connection is still alive? Sometimes, I feel quite confusing when I should use MSG rather than the other method.

So appreciate your reply in advance!

Frank:book:

Hello

I just downloaded the EDS file that keyence provide to add the IV as a new module o a logix 5000 PLC but it happens to give me only one tag, the fault signal, no I/O status tag

can anhone hint me tio add it as a generic module?

The EDS file doesn't give you a proper "EDS Based AOP" for this device. Don't try to use one, just use the Generic Module object.

You can see an example of the configuration of the Generic Module in the ControlLogix project I posted last year; the link is in that post above.

Came up on this problem just recently. EDS file really should work but it doesn't. Thanks for the help Ken. Really. All of you real controls studs have helped me on so many projects over the years. It was asked about the messaging part, perhaps its to allow the change of state of the camera without guessing on how long to wait before changing state and to check your connection periodically. Dealing with cameras that lock up from time to time are challenges all its on. (y)