OT: Are control systems stuck in the 90s

See Under Armour now. Outfit the youth sports, wait till they grow up, "Nike who? My parents wear that stuff." If rPI + Codesys become popular in higher education we could see a decent shift in 10 years.

Same with Apple in the 90's. The strat at the time was if they flood the schools with macs, parents will buy computers their kids are already comfortable with. That part didn't work so well, but the long term indoctrination of my generation seems to have paid off nicely for them.

I think part of this was and continues to be a marketing error, basically making everyone register/submit their information to get information about the product. Also claiming the IDE was "built from the ground up" when clearly it's just Codesys. I was curious too, but stopped being interested when I had to register for information. "Help me help you, help me help you..."

Agree. I also suspect that they weren't really aiming at the general market to start off. It feels like a specialized system for specialized requirements, either a specific industry or customer/project. Just no clue which one.

Engineers see it! This is where a lot of the discussion should end. If someone is programming a ControlLogix the same way as they did a PLC5, well that isn't the hardware's fault and no wonder the world feels like there is no change. But open up a ControlLogix program by someone who knows how to utilize it properly and it's years and years ahead and methods are becoming similar to what you see in a high-level programming environment.

I think this is really a key point, and I glossed right over it.

Hey All,

Just because it seems relevant to your discussion - the Wonderware Live Conference has been taking place this week in Orlando with quite a few new product and feature announcements geared at "revolutionizing" how things are done today. Specifically, Prometheus since a lot of this discussion has been on PLCs and HMI programming.

Prometheus - A new software release from Schneider Electric gathers production asset information so that users can outline process specific requirements and auto-generate code for PLCs, HMIs, RTUs and more. http://www.automationworld.com/all/...39317868&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

InTouch Omni, InStudio (Online Development) and other announcements - http://www.automationworld.com/all/schneider-electrics-software-vision

Jeremy

Prometheus - A new software release from Schneider Electric gathers production asset information so that users can outline process specific requirements and auto-generate code for PLCs, HMIs, RTUs and more. http://www.automationworld.com/all/...39317868&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

InTouch Omni, InStudio (Online Development) and other announcements - http://www.automationworld.com/all/schneider-electrics-software-vision

Jeremy

I have seen earlier marketing material around Prometheus. Has it been released?

Prometheus?! One of the worst sci-fi movie ever made.

Disappointing? certainly? Mis-marketed? probably. But if you go in forgetting everything you know about the Alien series, it's actually not that bad.
I recall reading an article about the whole thing being intentionally meta, where the Engineers weren't what the scientists expected, and the movie wasn't what the viewers expected?

Disappointing? certainly? Mis-marketed? probably. But if you go in forgetting everything you know about the Alien series, it's actually not that bad.
I recall reading an article about the whole thing being intentionally meta, where the Engineers weren't what the scientists expected, and the movie wasn't what the viewers expected?
I thought it was an OK movie, but the way they handled Michael Fassbender's character... what he did made no sense in the reality of the movie. It was done purely to move the movie in the direction the creator wanted it to.