Performance comparission between the AB FlexLogix and CompacLogix PLCs

nqn827

Do you know if there is any article that lists/describes the performance between the Allen-Bradley FlexLogix and CompactLogix PLCs? What I'm looking for is, given a same Logix5000 routine, which PLC will be faster and by how much? The pro/con of each of them.
TIA

I don't think there is any measureable difference in processing speed between Logix platform CPU's running the same code. The key difference is going to be in the sheer size of the program, number of tasks, communications connections and CPU memory. The attached document is from the inside cover of the FlexLogix Selection Guide (1794-SG001) and contrasts features of all Logix CPU's. Pros/cons: given the 2 choices you listed, it would simply come down to price (CompactLogix will be lower cost) and if motion control beyond stepper control is required (both platforms will do stepper control. If servo control is required, you will need the new CompactLogix 1768-L43 CPU, power supply, comms modules, and the traditional 1769 Compact I/O.

Unless you have a valid reason to stay Flexlogix, you should select CompactLogix platform.

You will not see performace difference, but selection variety and support in future versions makes CompactLogix the only choice in your case.

Greg Dake said:
Are they going to continue support for Flex I/O modules and their 1794 communication interface?
Greg
Yes, all 1794 products still available.New 1794-AENT/B coming out soon.
Controller will be in production as well, but no support in newer versions because of memory limitations.