GE Series One weak backup audio out from programmer

betamax

The hand held programmer works fine for backing and verifying up the program to tape (we use a mp3 recorder)on our GE series One CPU on one system.

On another system I typed in a program with the programmer and when I do the program syntax check it shows no error but when I try to do the tape backup the audio out is very weak. It is too weak to do the verify process. If I load in a known good program to the same CPU from tape backup I can record and verify it ok.

Does the weak audio backup from the typed in program indicate an issue with the program even though it doesn't show an error? What else should I look for to correct this?

Are you using the same handheld on both systems? If so, I would suspect the connection between the handheld and the CPU. If not, I would suspect the handheld itself. It could also be that the machine with the problems is located in an electrically noisier environment than the one that works well.

I would have expected the audio out to be either good or nothing since it it is derived from digital like FSK or a modem is. The rack is on a workbench with clean AC input, with CPU and no modules plugged in.

On a different CPU104B that had a E12 parity fault I had the same low audio.

On the CPU104B currently working on if I use the programmer and load in a known good program and verify from tape(mp3)I can backup ok and verify a new recording each time.

I could backup the original ladder program I keyed in from a drawing to the programmer with CPU104B and transfer it to a CPU101C ok. There were some errors in the rung that ends in Advance Sequence and the rung ending in Abort. I made changes so that the printout of the ladder seemed to match the drawing but then I had the low audio problem when I tried to back it up. Repeating the process I had the same problem. I tried backing out my changes and still had the low audio.

Being new to this I had difficulty getting the complex rungs ending in Advance Sequence and Abort keyed in to finaly match the drawing. (see attachments) There might be a problem there. Would you have an idea of the proper key entries to enter the Advance Sequence and Abort rungs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

S7303507.jpg S7303508.jpg

Some of the functions available on the CPU104 won't be compatible with a CPU101. The CPU104 was an enhanced version of the original Series One (CPU101). It immediately predated what was called the Series One Plus (CPU105 and CPU106).

You might want to try contacting Automation Direct tech support. The product that GE marketed as the Series One is still marketed by AD as the DL305 line.

Thanks Steve,
Tried a backup from a previously known good CPU and had weak audio out. Probably the output from the programmer. Will pop the programmer cover and check for intermittent or bad part in audio out ckt.

Apparently got intermittent then bad and worked on some and not others and was adding to the confusion factor.

I hope that if the ladder printout matches the drawing and the programmer shows no errors it is ok.

The original rack had the pwr supply fail and we lost the program in CMOS and we had no tape backup. The shaker mfg company (Ling) no longer had a backup tape or prog drawing available and we were lucky to dig and find the ladder drawing in our files.

Backup whenever possible.

Thanks, Jim

You should contact QUALITROL and get out of those ancient things, they helped me get a few programs converted to some thing more modern