Siemens plc + wonderware intouch help needed

amayankrao

Hello Guys! Well am totally new in the world of plc....and have worked little bit on wonderware intouch v 10 and Allen Bradley plc. Now I Want to work on Siemens plc.
S7 .Please tell me the software for programming & also how to communicate with wonderware. Any freeware? Kindly make it as simple as possible as I am a complete noob thanks.

I dont know Wonderware, but if Wonderware can be an OPC client, then you can use Simatic Net software as the OPC server.

You dont write anything about the actual S7 PLC, or which networks are available.

If ethernet, then you need at least Simatic Softnet IE Lean.
If MPI or Profibus, then you need an adapter such as CP5621, and Simatic Softnet Profibus S7.

My bad JesperMP, I will be using S7-300, simatic manager v5.4 with MPI cable. So should I look for Simatic Softnet Profibus S7?! It was possible to communicate A.B. Micrologix 1000 with wonderware, Although it was a simple test circuit of lamp on/off with a switch. So I guess Wonderware does work as an OPC client. Please correct me If I am worng!

Last edited:
Unfortunately, Simatic Net will not work with a PC Adapter. Only with a PCI card like CP5621 or USB adapter like CP5711.
A PC adapter is not suited to a permanent solution anyway.

If you absolutely want to use the PC adapter, there are 3rd party OPC Servers that will work with, f.ex. Kepware.

Since you dont write anything how wonderware was setup with RSLinx, I cannot tell if wonderware can be an OPC client. Maybe someone else can tell.