restore .mer to .apa

suboliu

I have been having problems restoring application in FT ME (v6.0) from a runtime (.mer).
company PLC programmer found another job and gone. he leave a .mer file, but didn't leave .apa file. this .mer file was created with FT me v6.0 and runtime .mer file saved as 4.0. I want to edit it. so I restore it, then it said that file
is saved older formate, and can't support conversition. so I can't edit it.
is there somebody have any idea to restore it or change this .mer file to 5.0?
Thanks!

Ok i remember trying to do this a while back. When you try and open the .mer file to the development application to make edits you cannot do that for .mer versions 4.0 and older, that capability can only be done with versions 5.0 and up. Try and see if someone has the .apa file somewhere. Lastly their is actually a way that it can be done to create the development file from 4.0 and earlier revision, i just don't know how to, but what i do know is that it does not restore the data logging settings the project may already have and probably other settings as well, but generally speaking the ability to go from your runtime file (.mer) to your development (.apa) started for versions 5.0 and up

Have you gone through the 'Application Manager' and done a 'Restore Legacy Project' option ?
Or, maybe you are running your development software on a Windows 64 bit machine ? I just got a new computer and run into this same issue. I cannot open any of my applications done on previous 32 bit software without doing a 'database conversion' on it. And then they still don't open on the new 64bit machine.

Have you gone through the 'Application Manager' and done a 'Restore Legacy Project' option ?
Or, maybe you are running your development software on a Windows 64 bit machine ? I just got a new computer and run into this same issue. I cannot open any of my applications done on previous 32 bit software without doing a 'database conversion' on it. And then they still don't open on the new 64bit machine.
I tried, can't. legacy project is .mea file.

dbh6 touched on the basic problem a few days ago: RSView ME Runtime files (*.MER) from Version 4 or earlier cannot be fully restored or converted into a project file.

This is the entire reason why Archive files and the Application Manager exist.

Project recovery was added to version 5 and later software, and is an option when the Runtime file is created.

A version 4.x or older Runtime file can be partially recovered by running the project on a computer as a FactorTalk View Runtime, and copying the resulting files out of their runtime directories.

This method cannot recover the entire file. The Parameter files, Alarm Setup, Datalog files, Macro files, and RSLinx Enterprise shortcut information cannot be recovered.

The instructions and details for this method are found in Rockwell Automation Knowledgebase Article ID 8913 (TechConnect Required).

dbh6 touched on the basic problem a few days ago: RSView ME Runtime files (*.MER) from Version 4 or earlier cannot be fully restored or converted into a project file.

This is the entire reason why Archive files and the Application Manager exist.

Project recovery was added to version 5 and later software, and is an option when the Runtime file is created.

A version 4.x or older Runtime file can be partially recovered by running the project on a computer as a FactorTalk View Runtime, and copying the resulting files out of their runtime directories.

This method cannot recover the entire file. The Parameter files, Alarm Setup, Datalog files, Macro files, and RSLinx Enterprise shortcut information cannot be recovered.

The instructions and details for this method are found in Rockwell Automation Knowledgebase Article ID 8913 (TechConnect Required).
Thanks Ken!
I understanded now.
Thanks a lot!

Not restoring for me

Ok I have 2 identical systems. panel view plus 1000 and a ml1400. On the panel-views there are 5 run-time applications. The oldest one I can restore, but it is useless as there were many changes to the final one that runs in them. all 4 of the newer files fails on conversion when it gets to the graphics portion and states I get the error message "Unable to restore application" check disk space, application is not already opened, and destination doesn't exist. all 3 are ok. When I try to grab the run-time files from the MER.00 temporary location i can import them into a new project and it states that the import was sucessful, but when I try to open the graphics it states that the files are of a unknown type and cannot be opened. I dont know if this is significant or not, but when I am plugged into the network that the systems are on the mer opens and works perfectly. If I am not connected to the network it states that it cant find the location or something of that nature. Any Ideas?;)