RSlogix5000 with DHRIO

HoldenC

Im being asked to add some 4-20ma controlled valves for adding water to some sumps, but Im having a little trouble. Im inexperienced in dealing with using the RIO cards.

We have a ControlLogix system that contains 3 RIO cards so we can connect to our older PLC5 racks that were never changed. There are 25 remote racks.

I found an unused analog output card (12 bit) in rack 13. So, I opened the logic file for the plant, and i found rack 13 under one of the RIO cards, however, all it shows is the RIO adapter, but no info on the cards in the rack. Only info i get is this : R13G3M0_IFE.

Could anyone offer any guidance ?

You'll need to use block transfers. Search the Rockwell site for publication 1756-UM514C-EN-P and look at page 120. (Yes, there's a copy sitting on my desk.)

Found it.

That was just what I was looking for.

As now, one thing still confuses me a bit. The RsLogix5000 file that I have shows rack 13, and shows the RIO adapter, but no cards are listed when i drilled down to find Rack 13. In the logix file, i went to the DHRIO card that connects to rack 13, and all it shows is the adapter.

However, the rack is in use, because i can find it in the logic.

There doesn't have to be a Module object for a 1771 slot-mounted module under the 1771-ASB in the I/O configuration of the RIO Scanner (in your case, a 1756-DHRIO).

Studio 5000 never implemented wizards or widgets for the configuration and data exchange of old 1771 series analog cards. You just have the MSG instructions that perform the functions of the Block Transfer Read and Block Transfer Write (BTR and BTW) from the old PLC-5.

There's a Sample Project called "Multiple_BTs_Over_RIO.ACD" that's been included with Studio 5000 for many years (probably since 1999 or so). You'll see that there is a 1771 adapter and a slot module object in the I/O tree, but the slot module object isn't addressed by anything. The MSG instructions that transfer data to and from it are actually addressed to the 1756-DHRIO itself, and provide the Slot/Group info for the DHRIO to talk to that module via the 1771-ASB.

Review your MSG instructions and see what array tags they read and write to the 1771 ASB at Rack 13.

Im reading all I can and Im still having a little trouble.

When looking over the logic, I see that only 4 card ( I believe) are being used. The analog output card is in slot 8 of 12. When I look at the rack 13 its listed as "1/2 rack (4 IO Groups). Does this mean the chassis is using a 1/2 slot addressing, or 2 slot addressing ?, or does all the 1 , 2, or 1/2 slot addressing go out the window since Im using a controllogix platform ?

Im reading all I can and Im still having a little trouble.

When looking over the logic, I see that only 4 card ( I believe) are being used. The analog output card is in slot 8 of 12. When I look at the rack 13 its listed as "1/2 rack (4 IO Groups). Does this mean the chassis is using a 1/2 slot addressing, or 2 slot addressing ?, or does all the 1 , 2, or 1/2 slot addressing go out the window since Im using a controllogix platform ?

You have to be a bit more explicit.

In Logix5, a "Rack" is not the same thing as a "Chassis".

A Rack is a Logical assignment for 8 I/O Module "Groups", and there a many ways to manipulate your "Racks" into physical "Chassis".

First off, tell us what your physical chassis looks like. Does it have (apart from the slot for the adapter), 4 physical slots, 8 physical slots, 12, or 16 ?.

If, as you said, it has 12 physical slots, then it is a 3/4 chassis, but that does not tell you how that chassis is allocated into the I/O. One way to be certain is to look at the switches on the chassis itself, it's hidden behind the adapter module, and you most definitely should power the chassis down before removing the module to look.

Switches 5 & 6 will tell you the addressing mode for the chassis...

Code:
S5  S6  Mode
OFF ON  1/2-Slot Addressing
ON  OFF 1-Slot Addressing
OFF OFF 2-Slot Addressing

Now you've only got room for 8 "addresses" within each logical "rack", so depending on the addressing mode the "slots" could be allocated as follows.....

1/2-slot addressing : Each physical slot has 2 addresses associated with it. In this case you would fill a "rack" allocation with just 4 physical slots, and that would mean your 12-slot chassis is 3 logical "racks", starting at the address specified by the switches on the adapter module.

1-slot addressing : Each physical slot has 1 address associated with it. In this case you would fill a "rack" allocation with 8 physical slots, and that would mean your 12-slot chassis is 1.5 logical "racks", starting at the address specified by the switches on the adapter module.

2-slot addressing : Each physical slot has 1/2 an address associated with it. In this case a "rack" would be 16 physical slots, and that would mean your 12-slot chassis is a 3/4 logical "rack", starting at the address specified by the switches on the adapter module.

Armed with all that information, you should be able to determine the logical address of your analog module. Bear in mind that an analog module requires a full 16-bit interface, so mostly people use 1-slot addressing, so that you don't have to leave empty slots next to it.

All the switch settings, for the adapter and the chassis, are in here.

Thanks for the reply. Ive been reading up on the slot addressing, and how it works, but your explanation helped a lot.

The rack in question is rack 13, however I've found that there is no rack 14 or 15. Im hoping to check behind the adapter module, and see what slot addressing is set up for the chassis.

I wanted to clarify about my statement above about the "1/2 rack". IN my logic file, i to look at the IO. I look at my Local Rack(Control Logix), and then expand one of the RIO cards to find Rack 13. When i double click the rack number, i get a pop up box telling me info on the rack. One line states that is is "1/2 rack (4 IO groups)". I know I have some investigating before I can go any further though.