Digital value to engineering units...where should I do the conversion?

Ideally the 0-20ma should be in a screened lead where the screen is only terminated at one end (terminating both ends can cause reflections in the cable), Is saying that I do know of many installs I have seen where signals have been mixed in Silflex type cable with no apparent problems especially if these runs are not to long, current loops are certainly more resistant to noise and 24v signals should not interfere that much.
One no no is the 415 ac supply in a multicore with signal cables unless specially designed i.e. multiple types of cable combined often used in trolley systems with umbilical cords.

Ideally the 0-20ma should be in a screened lead where the screen is only terminated at one end (terminating both ends can cause reflections in the cable), Is saying that I do know of many installs I have seen where signals have been mixed in Silflex type cable with no apparent problems especially if these runs are not to long, current loops are certainly more resistant to noise and 24v signals should not interfere that much.
One no no is the 415 ac supply in a multicore with signal cables unless specially designed i.e. multiple types of cable combined often used in trolley systems with umbilical cords.
Thanks again. At a guess the cable run is 50 metres/160ft. The 10-wire multicore is screened, each wire has plastic outer, twisted-pair (I think).

Now days I do all my math in simple MKS units. If I need to display a mass in slugs then I do a conversion.
Have any of you heard of slugs as a unit of mass?
What what about slinches?
That is why I now use simple MKS units.

I used to know what a slug is; I do remember it being a unit of mass.

slinches is new, though. 6/7th of a mass that is a stone. hmmm.

Did you know a microfortnight is a decent approximation for a second (only about 20% too big)?

Units are units. The idea that MKS are somehow simpler/better than Imperial is a canard; as soon as a physical property is brought in to a calculation, e.g. density of air, or Planck's constant, or G, or hours instead of seconds, that "factor of 10, ooh la la!" malarkey goes out the window.

Last edited:
Now days I do all my math in simple MKS units. If I need to display a mass in slugs then I do a conversion.

Definitely heard about slugs. Learned both unit systems in undergrad. Never heard of slinches (of course now I have looked them up...)

I do software now, but I used to do ChemEng for Big Oil. Some measurements, e.g. flow in production, with 20% accuracy were a luxury.

And for engineering "approximations," any number within half an order of magnitude (sqrt(10)) is close enough to make the point; we can always work out the details later ...

All engineers should just use SI and only SI and if customer needs to see ponies, then the view part of the software should just do the conversion and if he wants to input ponies, then the control part should do the conversion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model–view–controller

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SI_base_unit

Its just amazing how brits and yanks can't use the better system.

Us brits have been in a hybrid mode for years. Roads are mph yet everything is measured in meters and millimeters.. except my 55 inch TV

At least my UK pint of beer is bigger than the US pint :):):)

Us brits have been in a hybrid mode for years. Roads are mph yet everything is measured in meters and millimeters.. except my 55 inch TV

If you've ever worked on projects with Americans, just to confuse things even further, they have a unit called mil, which is a thousandth of an inch! Agh!

Well we were supposed to go metric in the 70's but like you say we still use miles lb and inches in many fields and the one thing I hate is mechanical pipe engineering BSP etc.

Sweeping universal "should" statement. Oh dear.

No, all engineers should know how to use ...

Sigh. Religious opinions are not useful.

P.S. I use MKS in my work exclusively, but I am not OCD about it (about other things yes ;), but not that).

No religion there, SI is simply better.

And the simply is the meaningful thing there. You have a base unit and common ten based multiples of it.