Wow

daba

Lifetime Supporting Member
I saw 390 something online, then read it was only 8 registered users...

What is it about Christmas that does that ?

You must be bored today.
Go to YouTube and look at Numberphile videos. They are good.
The one where 1+2+3+4+5+6....=-/12
will blow your mind.
I don't buy it. It is related to the Riemann zeta function.
Figure out why 9.9999999......=10 as warm up.

I'll look when I'm sober - you guys are several hours behind me, lol.

TBF I've seen the 9.9999999.... = 10, but can't buy it - even at infinity there's always another 9 digit coming up, so to me 9.999(recurring) can, and never will, (in my mind anyway) be equal to 10. The "recurring" notation proves that beyond doubt..... The methods they use to prove it are "masking" the issue.

"Infinitely", and "small" don't share the same page in my mind....

I'll look when I'm sober - you guys are several hours behind me, lol.
I know. We have someone in Edinburgh.
I talk to him in the morning. It often beer thirty for him

TBF I've seen the 9.9999999.... = 10, but can't buy it - even at infinity there's always another 9 digit coming up, so to me 9.999(recurring) can, and never will, (in my mind anyway) be equal to 10. The "recurring" notation proves that beyond doubt..... The methods they use to prove it are "masking" the issue.
I understand. You think as if each digit is an element in an array and the arrays of infinite length are still the same length so eventually there is an extra digit if one array is shifted one digit to multiply by 10.
It bugs me too.
Mathematics is strange in that way but it works. If I am willing to accept that 0.1 can't be represented by a floating point number but it is close enough then I can accept that 9.99999999.... is close enough to 10 to be 10.

TBF I've seen the 9.9999999.... = 10, but can't buy it - even at infinity there's always another 9 digit coming up, so to me 9.999(recurring) can, and never will, (in my mind anyway) be equal to 10.

To me, if you are thinking that a digit 9 can be added, then you are not thinking of an infinitely repeating decimal. That is the whole concept of infinity. It goes on forever.

But that really is for the Mathematicians, not the engineers.

—-

A mathematician and and engineer were put on one side of a room. There was a pot of gold on the other side. They were given the instructions that they could walk to the gold in steps. They were to start with a step halfway across the room and each successive step must be half the length of the previous step. The mathematician throws up his hands and says, “that’s and infinite series” then leaves. The engineer starts making his steps and after a little while says “For all practical purposes I’m here” and takes the gold.

Last edited: