rack mounted plc

joku

can anyone give me a model make of a rack mounted plc system please.
and if you can its approximate cost and application in industry.

Go to any manufacturer's site for examples. Some, such as AutomationDirect.com have prices right on the site.

You would use a racke mounted system for any machine or process control that you need to automate, from making ice cream to truck frame welding. The choice between rack and brick micro-PLCs (unitary) is usually based on I/O count, although rack type units usually have more program memory as well.

joku said:
can anyone give me a model make of a rack mounted plc system please. and if you can its approximate cost and application in industry.

A nicely outfitted GE Fanuc 9030 rack will run about $2500. Buy some of it as a tool box starter kit, and get the software for FREE.

A similar Allen Bradley rack, with modules, cann cost over $23,000, not counting the additional you have to pay for the software, or tech support.

Go to eBay, spend a few hundred $.

Go to Entertron.com, and get a nifty PLC. Wait, you said rack mounted. Entertron makes a plc that IS NOT rack bouned, but a circuit board. Actually, several different models. On the small end, is the SmartPak series. One is even 12 voult, so you can do neat stuph for your car. Sequential turn signals perhaps, or a host of "lighting" things, or maybe an autostart control, with shutdown protections. Several larger models, too.

Why a rack mount?

With an Entertron full function larger PLC, or a versatle GE Fanuc 64 I/O micro, why a rack mount?

I have done a lot of controls with one and rwo racks (ten slot GE), but even more 14 and 28 point micros. With expansion modules available, and prices comig down, racks are becoming less Cost Effective and Space Effective.

I do like Eric's slope front panel with a three slot rack, with its 24 I/O in a 8 x 12 enclosure. "LINK"

regards.....casey

Rack Mounts are a throw back to BACK PLANES, IMO. You used the slots you needed.

With today's technologies, there are ones that din rail mount which I believe are more flexible for packaging and future expansion.

kc9ih said:
I do like Eric's slope front panel with a three slot rack, with its 24 I/O in a 8 x 12 enclosure. "LINK"
You're 44 minutes late, Casey. Look at your contract. It ended at midnight (EST) on Wednesday, the 22nd. I'm sorry, but you will not be receiving a commission on this most recent link... ;)

🍻

-Eric