Web based HMI

12brich

Does anyone know of a good Web Based HMI package out there? Wonderware, Intellution and Factorylink all have some kind of viewing over terminal services but nothing like true web based.

Factorylink advertised the fact that you install their software on a web hosting machine with IIS and it has enough hooks to turn your SCADA box into a web server. From the end-user side, all you have to do is to open up IE and an Active-X component will be automatically loaded onto your machine. Once that is completed, reopenning IE will let you browse your SCADA. In reality, that does not work at all. They still seem to have a lot trouble fixing that.

I would think that after all these years, this concept would be much more possible and popular. Any thought?
Don

u can use rs view32 across a network i don't know how fast it would be to have it work across the net but it should do it just a little slow

i used it to show a clock that i wrote on a ML1000 and could acces it from across my home network

We have 3 lines that use it and we have looked at one of them from across the componey network

If you're going to make a web browser do all the things that a SCADA client does (animation, live data, selectors and buttons and data entry) you're going to have to enhance it with ActiveX, Java, or some other add-on technology that is widely available.

Now, name the two biggest vectors for malicious software to infect web browsers.

I'm very glad that my company didn't pursue the 'web-enabled' strategy, because that means far fewer arguments with customer's IT departments about their security methodology.

The dominant web browser is so riddled with holes, bugs, and other crud from its role as a consumer interface that I'm not surprised that it never became the principal choice for industrial software interfaces.

Ken,
Security is a big issue however with the way technologies are going nowaday all SCADA software must strive to get through the web if they don't want to fall behind competitors.

The conventional methods of accessing SCADA from within plant should stay. The web connection is just another great aspect for remote monitoring and controls. Ayman above gave me a good lead to InduSoft. I tried it out and it worked wonderfully. I just wish that the other major players like Wonderware, Intellution and Factorylink would act a little quicker on this matter.

Somewhere along the line, someone is gonna have to figure the security issue out.
Don

Don,

Wonderware's SuiteVoyager allows you to import InTouch windows that you've created for your HMI application, and it will keep most of the functionality of those windows. Through configuration of the portal, you are able to set whether or not you want viewers of the windows to be able to actuate the buttons or devices. In other words, you can have a "read-only" mode if you like. There is a list of InTouch functionality that does not carry over when converting windows for SuiteVoyager, like SQL commands for example. But for a simple, straight-forward interface with a few buttons or switches, it's worth a look.

Jeff

I am, as usual, a little confused. What exactly would a "Web based HMI package" do? I assume it would allow control etc using a web browser, please correct me if I am wrong.

Ken added to the confusion by stating
I'm very glad that my company didn't pursue the 'web-enabled' strategy, because that means far fewer arguments with customer's IT departments about their security methodology.
I thought AB developed the 1756-EWEB and the ML1100 to offer some of those capabilities. These technotes offer information concerning using the EWEB for data and control.
http://domino.automation.rockwell.com/applications/kb/RAKB.nsf/0/45904BE6F6301BEE85256F5B0048B52C?OpenDocument

http://domino.automation.rockwell.com/applications/kb/RAKB.nsf/0/C7AC9D6D324FF2C685256F690076AADC?OpenDocument

As far as using Java, VB etc its pretty standard to use a variety of software when working with a web server and its associated pages.

As for security the problem has more to do with people than holes and bugs. Technically a server does not get email and open harmful programs...90% (or more) issues are derived from people either doing that or falling for an email scam that gives someone a password.

Another point is that "web-enabled" would not mean it will really be on the web, just that it can work with browsers etc. The fact that just about ALL computers have an internet browser (free more or less) it makes sense to me that eventually it would be a common platform for access.

I just finished looking at their web site. It is exactly what I am lookig for. Have you used it? Thanks.
Don

I forgot to state what website. It's ICONICS.

InduSoft.com has very similar product. Iconics's just been around much longer.
Don

I have used Iconics software Genesis32 for the SCADA application with the great success. But it may be used in HMI application as well. Software is OPC server / client based and is coming with OPC servers for different PLC. It also will work with the third party OPC servers. You may download demo from their web site.

Paulb.