PF 525 Ethernet IP

RBergmann

Although I've been programming for quite a few years, I'm not a long time AB programmer. Had projects here and there (SLC500, MicroLogix). I've tried to avoid them. Cost reason's mostly.

But for the past year I've been involved with CompactLogix quite a bit. Really impressed with using Ethernet/IP to control the PowerFlex 525.

What I'm currently looking for is to identify the an input parameter, via Ethernet/IP, that will give me the drive's output current.

When you setup the properties of a PF525, you can add additional parameters that are not part of the default data type. It would require you to change the drive properties and re-download the program.

The following steps are for v30 and below: Open a drive properties, on the general tab click "Change". On the top right, you will see "Input Data" with some drop downs. Add your favorite parameters.

When you setup the properties of a PF525, you can add additional parameters that are not part of the default data type. It would require you to change the drive properties and re-download the program.

The following steps are for v30 and below: Open a drive properties, on the general tab click "Change". On the top right, you will see "Input Data" with some drop downs. Add your favorite parameters.
Looks like this is exactly what I’m searching for.

Great! Thanks!

Just beware that on some powerflex drives if you configure a data link is RSlogix 5000 that is not also configured in the drive you will get a "module not configured" error in Studio 5000, which can be difficult to realize what the actual issue is.

Just beware that on some powerflex drives if you configure a data link is RSlogix 5000 that is not also configured in the drive you will get a "module not configured" error in Studio 5000, which can be difficult to realize what the actual issue is.
Thanks. I’ll watch for this. All is brand new equipment and has not been downloaded yet. Still in development stage. Will be downloaded as soon as drive is installed. Probably a month or so.

Although I've been programming for quite a few years, I'm not a long time AB programmer. Had projects here and there (SLC500, MicroLogix). I've tried to avoid them. Cost reason's mostly.

But for the past year I've been involved with CompactLogix quite a bit. Really impressed with using Ethernet/IP to control the PowerFlex 525.

What I'm currently looking for is to identify the an input parameter, via Ethernet/IP, that will give me the drive's output current.

I believe when you add the drive to the project, you can go into the Controller Tags, scroll down to something along the lines of "DRIVE_NAME:DriveData.I.OutputCurrent" or something along those lines. I did this recently with a PF753, so it may not be the same, but I had 4 drives, named SCREW_COOLER_A, _B, _C and _D. So I went into the tag list and found SCREW_COOLER_A:DriveData.I.OutputCurrent and it will have the amperage value stored in it. Very easy once you know where to look. Again, may be different for the 525, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were similar or the exact same.

EDIT: Could also be DriveStatus instead of DriveData, not currently at my office so I can't confirm. Someone else could probably specify exactly where to look, but once you're in around the drive tags you can find it just by digging.

Last edited:
I read the drive voltage and drive current of PowerFlex 525 drives using explicit messaging. Set up a Message instruction for parameter read, or Get Attribute Single and read parameter 4 for the voltage and parameter 3 for the current. Multiply the raw feedback of the voltage by 10 and the current by 100 and move them into REAL data registers & you should have the values you need.

Last edited:
I believe when you add the drive to the project, you can go into the Controller Tags, scroll down to something along the lines of "DRIVE_NAME:DriveData.I.OutputCurrent" or something along those lines. I did this recently with a PF753, so it may not be the same, but I had 4 drives, named SCREW_COOLER_A, _B, _C and _D. So I went into the tag list and found SCREW_COOLER_A:DriveData.I.OutputCurrent and it will have the amperage value stored in it. Very easy once you know where to look. Again, may be different for the 525, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were similar or the exact same.

EDIT: Could also be DriveStatus instead of DriveData, not currently at my office so I can't confirm. Someone else could probably specify exactly where to look, but once you're in around the drive tags you can find it just by digging.
Unfortunately, by default on the 525 drive, OutputCurrent is not displayed in the Controller Tags. Using #2 response to my original post, I was able to add this parameter to the Conroller Tag data base.

Unfortunately, by default on the 525 drive, OutputCurrent is not displayed in the Controller Tags. Using #2 response to my original post, I was able to add this parameter to the Conroller Tag data base.

Sorry, didn't realize that about the 525. I have a project in the works using them, so this is good information to have.

If you add the extra parameter to the process image it will add the required drive settings to the parameter set. If you download the parameters to the drive it should all be good. If the drive is already configured you will need to set parameters 158- for EN Data Out or it will fail to connect.