Communication of Inputs between devices on Kepserver

kazmi1215

Hello,

I have two devices on the same channel of Kepserverex. I am using OPC and its working fine. I am trying to communicate the status of some bits from device 1 to device 2 using kepserver. Is it possible? Thank you

Kepserver.png

How? I have seen some videos using the blocks in the TIA portal for communication between two plc's. It was kind of lengthy process. I was thinking of finding an easy way by communicating some bits between these two in kepserverex. Isn't there any option?

Thank you

How? I have seen some videos using the blocks in the TIA portal for communication between two plc's. It was kind of lengthy process. I was thinking of finding an easy way by communicating some bits between these two in kepserverex. Isn't there any option?

Apparently there is but the point still stands. Creating gateways is usually not a good idea and even less so with Windows in the middle.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...encer_en.pdf&usg=AOvVaw0AUU6fbGww9-tUQ-ZTpqbc

Put Get communication is one way or you can share memory between the PLC's.

Apparently there is but the point still stands. Creating gateways is usually not a good idea and even less so with Windows in the middle.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...encer_en.pdf&usg=AOvVaw0AUU6fbGww9-tUQ-ZTpqbc

Put Get communication is one way or you can share memory between the PLC's.

+1

Put/Get is definetly the way to go with this. Once configured it will just work.

Doing it via Kepserver you have to worry about an additional device failing, or windows crashing / restarting / rebooting / updating.

You can setup the Put / Get on one of the PLC's, it will Put data from a DB on the local PLC to a DB in the REMOTE.
Then it will Get data from a DB on the remote PLC to a DB in the local.

If you go this route I highly recommend commenting the remote PLC logic and DB's very well, otherwise it can be a mystery to others how / where the data comes from.

Personally I create an FC or FB in each PLC for "PutGetMapping" and I name my DBs:
"PutFrom" and "PutTo"
"GetTo" and "GetFrom"
Personally this clears up where the data comes from and where it goes.

EDIT:Typo

If you go this route I highly recommend commenting the remote PLC logic and DB's very well, otherwise it can be a mystery to others how / where the data comes from.

One other recommendation is to have a heartbeat on the data moved across between and to PLC's.

PUT and GET will work on stopped PLC's, so it's nice to know the little mouse is running inside the CPU you're getting data from.

Edit:
If PLC A has a GET instruction to pull data from PLC B, it will do so regardless of PLC B being in run or in stopped mode. Other communication functions with the Siemens PLC's require a send and receive function pairing which prevents this from happening... although even then it's a good idea to have a heartbeat.

One of the other easy options is to use I-device, if your 300s are new enough to support it.

It directly maps inputs in one PLC to outputs in the other, and vice versa, over PN.