IFIX 5.8 Momentary Push Button

I think so, now that you mentioned it, I don't think they have such a thing built in.

What I seen on iFix is couple of different method.

- Have the button just do a set and have the PLC unlatch the command.

- Have the button down action set and button up action clear.

There is MDO block (Momentary Digital Out) in iFix. Or you can do it in script using readvalue and writevalue, But iFix VBA is single threaded so that action would be S L O W.

I too would rather have the PLC do it.

There is MDO block (Momentary Digital Out) in iFix. Or you can do it in script using readvalue and writevalue, But iFix VBA is single threaded so that action would be S L O W.

I too would rather have the PLC do it.

I agree. Even HMI packages that include a "momentary" pushbutton function sometimes fail to clear the bit after setting it. It's much more reliable to simply have the HMI set the bit and then clear it in the PLC logic.

I think so, now that you mentioned it, I don't think they have such a thing built in.

What I seen on iFix is couple of different method.

- Have the button just do a set and have the PLC unlatch the command.

- Have the button down action set and button up action clear.

We had some serious issues with mouse down and mouse up on jog functions.
I found the operators would click (mouse down), and then while holding the mouse button down slide the pointer off the HMI screen button. They called it a jog latch, at least the ones that knew about it. They would have to put the pointer back on the screen button and re-click to shut it off. Some would do it and not know it happened and said the HMI screen button sticks. When you slide the pointer off the screen button iFix will keep the DO bit set. What we ended up doing is adding a loss of focus maybe through movement? I don't remember as it was maybe 6 or 7 years ago and I didn't keep my notes when I retired.
This problem showed up after an upgrade. The original iFix was from around 1998 and it did not use VB but was converted during the upgrade. I don't remember the versions.

We had some serious issues with mouse down and mouse up on jog functions.
I found the operators would click (mouse down), and then while holding the mouse button down slide the pointer off the HMI screen button. They called it a jog latch, at least the ones that knew about it. They would have to put the pointer back on the screen button and re-click to shut it off. Some would do it and not know it happened and said the HMI screen button sticks. When you slide the pointer off the screen button iFix will keep the DO bit set. What we ended up doing is adding a loss of focus maybe through movement? I don't remember as it was maybe 6 or 7 years ago and I didn't keep my notes when I retired.
This problem showed up after an upgrade. The original iFix was from around 1998 and it did not use VB but was converted during the upgrade. I don't remember the versions.
that's good things to watch out for, thanks for the reminder. I don't use JOG, if ever. Something like that I might want to use hardwired button.

As much as I use iFix, I really have a distaste for it.

I agree. They are being spun off into their own company after being bought by Emerson, maybe that will get better, maybe not. I don't have high hopes.

I have been out of touch for about 4 years. Are you saying Emerson bought the iFix Proficy line from GE??
We had an installation of The Fix way, way back. It was updated to Wonderware.
I worked mostly with Iconics Genesis in the mid 90's. We switched when the first Windows version (crash city) came out. Then went to back to Intellution for many years. Not happy when GE bought them out, but it wasn't that bad.
Didn't care for early Wonderware. I would have liked to spent more time with RSView.
I am glad I retired when I did.

I agree. They are being spun off into their own company after being bought by Emerson, maybe that will get better, maybe not. I don't have high hopes.
I had a demo of iFix 6 (in powerpoint) and it looked nice in the front of it... however, the sales guy is really really good, so it must be the same pile of **** as usual.

They did give me a license to run iFix6, but I haven't had the time yet to confirm what they said about it. One thing that caught my mind was that the database manager would now allow several columns/rows to be modified at the same time. Not sure when someone would need it, but sounded good on paper.

Personally, after playing with Ignition and how seamless integrating a database with the SCADA is, I'll always look at that particular feature as a selling point of a SCADA. iFix has the SQL blocks but they're a bit atrocious to work with.

Intellution was started by a bunch of former Foxboro DCS guys back in the 80's. The product line was Fix Dynamics, Fix Dmacs, ran on DOS PC's. Later they upgraded to WinNT and Fix32. Back in those days, Intellution mostly competed with WonderWare. Then for some reason they dropped the Fix32 line and came out with iFix, not a direct upgrade. All new scripting, all VBA code. Around the same time DeltaV from Emerson was starting to be noticed, but had horrible graphics. Emerson buys Intellution. Folds iFix into DeltaV as the Graphics engine. Waits a few years, keeps iFix as DeltaV, sells stand alone to GE. GE takes over, does a little development, adds to the Proficy line.

Intellution was started by a bunch of former Foxboro DCS guys back in the 80's. The product line was Fix Dynamics, Fix Dmacs, ran on DOS PC's. Later they upgraded to WinNT and Fix32. Back in those days, Intellution mostly competed with WonderWare. Then for some reason they dropped the Fix32 line and came out with iFix, not a direct upgrade. All new scripting, all VBA code. Around the same time DeltaV from Emerson was starting to be noticed, but had horrible graphics. Emerson buys Intellution. Folds iFix into DeltaV as the Graphics engine. Waits a few years, keeps iFix as DeltaV, sells stand alone to GE. GE takes over, does a little development, adds to the Proficy line.

About 10 years ago we were getting a Delta V installation and we got some training. So when we get to the graphics part a couple of us say 'hey this is like iFix just a bit old'. At least I never had to directly work with it, I only gave advice to those that wouldn't take it.

Around early 2000s, I worked for a subsidiary of Invensys, remember that name? Who also owns Wonderware and Foxboro. The Foxboro guys told me that Intelluation was supposed to be a "SoftPLC" and it does seems to have the ability to do it although I don't know how many people are comfortable running "SoftPLC" on Windows.

The latest we have now are 5.8 and it is still clunky as heck. Seems like a DOS program running on Windows sometime with its 50+ executable all over the place. Simple things like, yes, buttons seems like a tall order or a multi-state indicator. I had a chance to play with AB's new 5500 touchscreen and it feels like a generation apart. Even the RSView SE I used 15 years ago seems decades ahead of iFix today.

Only about 20% of our install are iFix but it will be almost impossible to get $ to convert them because I'll get asked "the value" question. which I can't honestly justify.