Microsoft Access Database and TIA portal

kazmi1215

Hello,

I have some data in Microsoft access database (with timestamps). I want to send this data to TIA portal. is it possible? Please help me out.

Thank you

Last edited:
Here are some options:
If you're still using kepserver as in your other posts, you could try use that as an intermediary. Basically any program can read ms access for free.

Siemens newer plc come with opc server. License cost.

Write your own intermediary based on open source Siemens comm libraries such as snap7.

TIA portal covers a lot of stuff. Are you using a PLC? If so, what kind? Are you using an HMI? If so, Basic/Comfort/Advanced/Professional? What version of software?

I worked before with Microsoft Access Database. I had a basic version. It was already a long time ago. I can hardly remember how everything is arranged there.

Thank you so much for your replies. I am using Kepserver with TIA portal. Hardware is ET200SP.
I have data of input bits that is stored in Microsoft Access with time stamps. I want to pass that data to TIA portal in the same order. How I can do that? I tried one of the libraries on visual basic and changed the status of individual bits. But what if I want TIA portal to get data directly from the database according to timestamp? is it possible?

Thank you

What software are you using to display the information? WinCC? Visual Basic?

The transfer path of the data is this:

Operator/User Input Software -> MS Access -> Software with scripting and communication to PLC -> PLC

For example, with WinCC Advanced/Professional it is possible to read from MS Access or SQL and write to the PLC through VB Scripting - even without OPC (Kepware).

Hey,

I am not displaying the information. I am using VB for connection with TIA portal. I was wondering if there is some example of the query to get data from Microsoft access and sending that data to TIA portal.

Thank you

In my experience, you almost always need some piece of middleware to be the bridge between a PLC and a database.

Kepware might already of a piece that does that.

From Siemens, I think the middleware package is called Industrial Data Bridge.

Kepware should be able to interact with the database but it would require an ODBC driver I believe (memory is rusty).

You mean, by using Kepserver I can send the data to PLC?

KepServer is an OPC server. It is capable of reading data from the PLC and making it available to other software/devices (Based on different licenses). And populating data back into the PLC.

It has been a long time since I used it but from memory, they have a datalogger license in case you just want to log data to a DB. They also have the ODBC license where you can Query the database and possibly execute stored procedures.

If this is what you are looking to do it would probably be beneficial to contact Kepware for support.

https://www.kepware.com/getattachment/81708bdd-79c3-43f7-a347-50fe0081bc7f/odbc-and-sql.pdf