Micrologix 1400 to CompactLogix convertion

rQx

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi!

We sell control cabinet equiped with Micrologix1400 CPU and PanelView Plus 6 700 HMI and a powerflex 4m communicating with modbus to the PLC. A customer now want us to supply them with a CompactLogix. I'm trying to wrap my head around what changes I need to be doing.

1. I need new PLC programming software, is Studio 5000 Mini sufficient?

2. I suspect that I can use the same HMI and the same program I have?

3. What is the entry level CompactLogix, is it the 1769-L18ER-BB1B? The I/O will be enough. Will I need some com. module for the Powerflex?

4. Hos diffrent is Studio 5000 compared to RsLogix Micro (wich I think I have now). Can I convert the program or do I need to reprogram it? I think I have read that I should map the input and outputs since it is asynchronus scan? Or is this just for the ControlLogix.

My go to brand is Siemens so forgive me if there are simple questions

/Tim

1. I need new PLC programming software, is Studio 5000 Mini sufficient?
Yes.

2. I suspect that I can use the same HMI and the same program I have?

Yes, but you will need to change the tags to the new addresses or use SLC/PLC-5 mapping in the Logix5k cpu.

3. What is the entry level CompactLogix, is it the 1769-L18ER-BB1B? The I/O will be enough. Will I need some com. module for the Powerflex?

Native Modbus in Compactlogix is supposedly possible, but not at all straightforward. I believe you will do better to use Ethernet/IP for control. 22-COMM-E should be the part number for the Ethernet/IP adapter.

4. Hos diffrent is Studio 5000 compared to RsLogix Micro (wich I think I have now). Can I convert the program or do I need to reprogram it? I think I have read that I should map the input and outputs since it is asynchronus scan? Or is this just for the ControlLogix.

It is similar in layout and appearance, but very different under the hood. You can convert the logic automatically using the RSLogix Project Migrator utility, but you will get a cleaner result by rewriting it. It might be useful to use the Migrator and then clean up the tag naming and edit the things necessary to accommodate the required changes. Using the Migrator should bring in the I/O, comments, and symbols as aliases.

I would definitely recommend buffering (mapping) the I/O. Since you will be changing the drive communication method, that part will need to be reworked at the very least.

EDIT: Project Migrator video that looks pretty good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaJQ9lVweYY

Native Modbus in Compactlogix is supposedly possible, but not at all straightforward. I believe you will do better to use Ethernet/IP for control. 22-COMM-E should be the part number for the Ethernet/IP adapter.

So you recommend changing the powerflex 4m to say PF525 with eth/ip. Also the CompactLogix has embbed ethernet ports, but they aren't used for com.?

t is similar in layout and appearance, but very different under the hood. You can convert the logic automatically using the RSLogix Project Migrator utility, but you will get a cleaner result by rewriting it. It might be useful to use the Migrator and then clean up the tag naming and edit the things necessary to accommodate the required changes. Using the Migrator should bring in the I/O, comments, and symbols as aliases.

I would definitely recommend buffering (mapping) the I/O. Since you will be changing the drive communication method, that part will need to be reworked at the very least.

EDIT: Project Migrator video that looks pretty good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaJQ9lVweYY

Thanks, that seem like a good approach for one small cabinet for this customer. Not rewriting everything

Thanks/Tim

So you recommend changing the powerflex 4m to say PF525 with eth/ip. Also the CompactLogix has embbed ethernet ports, but they aren't used for com.?

I don't use enough A/B drives to know if there is a good reason to go with one over the other. I believe the 4M has power supplied to the top and motor leads out the bottom. I don't recall if the comm module can be fitted on the 4M drive or must be separately mounted, and that might be HP dependent.

The 525 with built in Ethernet IP might make the most sense.

I don't use enough A/B drives to know if there is a good reason to go with one over the other. I believe the 4M has power supplied to the top and motor leads out the bottom. I don't recall if the comm module can be fitted on the 4M drive or must be separately mounted, and that might be HP dependent.

The 525 with built in Ethernet IP might make the most sense.

The powerflex 4m is modbus rtu only so if you recommend ethernet/ip instead of modbus for the compactlogix then the 4m isnt an option atleast ;)

I would use a powerflex 525 over a powerflex 4. It is cheaper than buying the Powerflex4 and comm adapter, as well is a better performing drive.

The built in ethernet port is for all communications. I would install a small unmanaged switch to connect your plc, drive, hmi, and programming laptop into. The 1769-L16 is the smallest CompactLogix, with the L18 adding a few additional I/O points and network devices.

I personally find the 1769-L24 series easier to work with than the L16 series because they use 1769 I/O instead of point I/O, but that does come with the small price increase.