Problem with Kinetix 350 and Motor feedback

Mray

Hi there,
it is the first time I am going to setup and run Kinetix 350 servo drive and motor (TL-A120P-BJ34AA)in Studio 5000.
I have done all wiring and set up axis in Studio 5000 but there is a yellow ! in Motion group folder saying "Configuration Fault". (See photo 1)

When I want to test the drive it pops up a message saying "The axis is not configured." (See photo 2)
I guess the problem is my encoder wiring connection to drive. Based on some PDF from Rockwell, I connected encoder wires to the low profile adapter as following. (See photo 3 & 4 for pin out)

Encoder wire (See Photo 4)-----> Drive (See photo 3)

----------------------------------------------------------------
Red (EPWR) -----> Pin#14 = Encoder Power
Brown/Black + Black (Ecom + BAT-) -----> Pin#6 = Com
Blue (SD+) -----> Pin#1 (SIN+)
Blue/Black (SD-) -----> Pin#2 (SIN-)
Brown (BAT+) -----> Pin#3 (COS+)
Black Shrink (Shield) -----> Connected To body

So, I don't know I have connected them in a right order or not? and what are BAT and SD in encoder side?

Please help me to figure it out.
Tnx in advance.

A1.jpg A2.jpg A3.jpg A4.jpg

I did some modification and noticed the BAT+ should be connected to an external battery. I am using TL-A120P servo motor and as I know it does not need an external battery. Am I right or I should provide a battery?

As you can see in photo 1, I defined group and axis as well.

My bad like I said has been a minute. Could you show a screen of your motor feedback parameters, that looks to be where the fault is pointing to.

The wiring is a little confusing, I almost want to say your SD+ and SD- should be on data pins not SIN, not sure on BAT+ but likely not on COS+

The wiring is a little confusing, I almost want to say your SD+ and SD- should be on data pins not SIN, not sure on BAT+ but likely not on COS+

I just understood that the BAT is Battery and the motor needs battery because its encoder is battery backed.

Yeah that was what I was looking at some of the connectors have batteries. I take SD+/- to be serial data not SIN. Just trying to help but I could be totally off base, I don't think you would simply have SIN feedback w/o COS feedback to get position.

Edit:

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/2097-um002_-en-p.pdf

see page 71, closest thing I could find for TL motors in the Kinetic 350 manual.

You positive this combination drive and motor are compatible?

Last edited:
Yeah that was what I was looking at some of the connectors have batteries. I take SD+/- to be serial data not SIN. Just trying to help but I could be totally off base, I don't think you would simply have SIN feedback w/o COS feedback to get position.

Edit:

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/2097-um002_-en-p.pdf

see page 71, closest thing I could find for TL motors in the Kinetic 350 manual.

You positive this combination drive and motor are compatible?

SD+/- should be connected to Data+/- as serial communication
BAT+/- connected to 3.6v external battery