Help with Micro 1000 program

Thanks Ken,

Procedure worked great.

I will have to try and get our company to update our software.

Thanks again,
Gary

Ken,
I lost the HDD in my laptop yesterday so I won't be able to
work on adding any comments to the pump project any time soon..

Gary

Well the new laptop has not come in yet. I had our company upgrade our RSLogix 500 to the newest version. I took the ideas you all gave me and made it fit my application.. (I hope I did anyways) I will have to wait for the laptop to try it... better yet, I'll wait to see what you all have to say first.. If any of you have some time to look at it and let me know what you think.. I would really appreciate it.

I also added some description this time. Sorry about not including it last time.

Gary

Last edited:
Looks ok but I would wait for one of the pro's take a look..

I have done programming but nothing comparred to others on this site.

Good Luck
Tim

GMc,

Logic looks okay, hard to figure out exactly what you're doing on rungs 6,7 &8. I do not know what your application specs are.
In the future I would recommend adding rung comments to your program. ie "if pump 1 sequenced or if pump 3 disabled, then run pump 1" or something to that effect.

Ken,

Thanks for the reply. The only thing I added from the original program on rungs 6, 7 & 8 are B3:11/0, B3:11/1 & B3:11/2. Being that I have 3 vacuum switches I didn't know how else to call for another pump.

Example, Lets say the sequencer was on step 3, the main vacuum sw. 1 called for a pump.. rung 8 would be true. During that time another pump was called by vacuum sw. 2 then rung 6 (pump 1)would be true but if I had pump 1 off for service it would go to rung 7.

VC 1 is main sw.
VC 2 is backup sw. (I assume)
VC 3 is lag sw.

Hope this answered what you was asking. I really appreciate your expertise. I'm probably loking at this all wrong..

Thanks for the advice on rung comments

GMc

Previous Post

Hmmmm.

Ken,
The previous post was from me.. I must have took to long to respond and it logged me off. The response posted from guest...

Gary

Maybe you had this in mind?

file attached

This program does not discriminate for the different pressure requirements you are asking, and I dont know how those are wired (but hopefully the hardware takes care of that)

Last edited:
Eugen,
Thanks for the response.. Dell still has not delivered my laptop so I will have to wait till tonight to check out your attachment.. What would you say is the problem with my program?? Just trying to learn from my mistakes.. Someone before mentioed something about sequencers in the program but I don't have any problems with them and I feel it's easy to troubleshoot.. Thanks

Gary

Gary,

so are you well on the way? ... or do you still have questions? ...

obviously this is not a "student assignment" problem ... so I for one (and I'm sure that there are others) would be glad to give you whatever help you need with the code ... but right now, I'm not 100% sure that I know exactly what your system is supposed to do ...

my understanding so far:

you started out wanting to sequence three pumps ... so that only one pump would run at a time ... each pump would run for 900 seconds (15 minutes) ... and then shut off ... then the next pump in the sequence would turn on ... and run for 900 seconds ... then shut off ... then the next pump would turn on ... and run for 900 seconds ... then shut off ... and then back to the first pump ... and continue the sequence as before ...

BUT ...

any one of the pumps can be disabled by turning on any one of three inputs to the PLC ... if a pump is disabled, then the sequence skips that particular pump ... but it continues to sequence the remaining two pumps in the same "your-turn-my-turn-your-turn-my-turn" pattern ... I'm going out on a limb here, but I assume (gosh I hate that word) that if any TWO pumps are disabled at the same time, then the one remaining pump would simply stay on continuously ...

so how close am I? ...

now ... (looking at your latest posted program) all of a sudden we have three "vacuum" switches thrown into the mix ... and each switch has a different vacuum level assignment ... I'm assuming (and I still hate that word) that these are sensors that are used to determine the amount of existing vacuum and then turn on additional pumps if the vacuum is not low enough ... but I'm not sure about that ... and if all of the switches are satisfied, should all of the pumps turn off? ...

so far you've shown a great deal of enthusiasm ... not only for simply getting this thing to work ... but also for making the program turn out as “professional” as possible ... trust me, we LIKE to see that attitude ... and I for one (and there are many others here I’m sure) would like to help you achieve your goals ... but honestly we’re not 100% sure just what you’re trying to do ...

here’s a recommended plan of attack: instead of telling us what your PROGRAM is intended to do, try telling us what the MACHINE is supposed to do ... exactly how do the pumps need to cycle? ... do you sometimes need more than one pump at a time? ... exactly what do the vacuum switches do? ... etc. ... etc. ... once we’ve got some definite details like that to work with, then we can give you SPECIFIC answers and suggestions ... right now, all anyone can offer are generic “this is an example that might work” programs ... those SHOULD help you out ... but again, if you need more SPECIFIC answers, then we need more SPECIFIC details ...

we look forward to hearing from you again soon ... this is beginning to sound like a fun little exercise that is likely to be a lot more entertaining than some of the “traffic light” type programs that often turn up around here ...

Ron,
First of all thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned before but I guess I didn't.. I'm not a student. I work for a Vetrans Hospital.

For hating the word assume you hit the nail square on the head.. It works exactly as you assumed.

I never did go that far as to see what would happen if 2 pumps were down. We wouldn't take 2 out of service ourselves but nothing's to say that one pump might break down while we have one out of service. But yes, we would want the remaining pump to cycle on and off with the main vacuum switch.

Originally if you shut off a pump or one broke down over night the vacuum level would continue to drop until the next vacuum switch turned on. You would still have some vacuum but when the sequencer was on that step/pump the vacuum level would be lower. I guess I will still have that problem if one breaks down. But at least if we take one out for service it will automatically go to the next step

These set of pumps feed mainly the Dental area for suction. The main objective for the machine is to maintain 18 - 23 inches of vacuum. Much below that and the Doctors start screaming.

Now, I'm going to use the word you hate.. I know VC 1 (main) is the switch that operates 99.9% of the time. The VC 2 they (print) don't say but I assume it's to bring on another pump if the demand is too high for just 1 pump. VC 3 is for another pump and the lag alarm which is a local light and horn. It also sends an alarm to the switch board. I have never ever seen more than one pump run at any one time.

so far you've shown a great deal of enthusiasm ... not only for simply getting this thing to work ... but also for making the program turn out as “professional” as possible

Thanks for the GREAT comment. That gave me some confidence.

these are sensors that are used to determine the amount of existing vacuum and then turn on additional pumps if the vacuum is not low enough

Correct

I hope I covered everything but probably not..

GMc

Last edited:
One timer, one counter, anna buncha equals

I put my attempt in file 10.

For the second pump to come on with I:0/1 I just start the pump that was running previous. From yours and Ron's explanation this is what I envisioned happening.

Am I far off?

**Edit** Bah, I just took a look at Ken's solution using a counter instead of sequencer. Slightly more glamorous than mine. :)

Last edited: