You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old July 10th, 2018, 06:42 AM   #1
Paully's5.0
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

OT: Zero Days - Stuxnet Documentary

I came across Zero Days on Hulu the other day (rent from Amazon as well). It's a very good documentary on the Stuxnet worm, and talks about how complex it was and the intent. Some great detail on just how targeted it was. I thought it was really well done and basically laughs at the thought of isolated networks being "secure".

How Stuxnet was able to cross the air-gap and infect the isolated network at the Natanz facility will probably never be known, but it was clear that the attackers did target outside contractors doing work at the facility as means of entry. Can't rule out some human asset either, however as many of us are OEMs/Systems Integrators we are certainly prime targets for future ICS attackers.

Check it out! If you don't have Hulu the $1.99 rental is worth it!
Old July 10th, 2018, 07:12 AM   #2
gclshortt
Canada

http://watchdocumentaries.com/zero-days/

Looks interesting. Thank you.
Old July 10th, 2018, 07:22 AM   #3
AshleyParr
United Kingdom

its truly awesome to watch it, terrifying but awesome!
Old July 10th, 2018, 01:26 PM   #4
harryting
United States

Well, most techs I talk to still believes in air-gap. To be fair though, you have to be THE TARGET and if you are, no defense can really be "enough".

The video link doesn't work. I may have to shell out the $10 to buy the DVD for our next meeting. How long is the video?
Old July 10th, 2018, 01:34 PM   #5
keshik
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryting View Post
How long is the video?
From Amazon, 113 minutes.
https://www.amazon.com/Zero-Days-Col...ords=Zero+Days
Old July 10th, 2018, 04:53 PM   #6
Aabeck
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryting View Post
Well, most techs I talk to still believes in air-gap. ......
Like the scientists at the nuclear plant in Russia (if I remember right) a couple months ago that connected the secured, isolated computer network in the plant to the internet so they could mine BitCoins?
Old July 10th, 2018, 07:02 PM   #7
GaryS
United States

You ask how Stuxnet crossed the air gap simple the human factor somebody moved it on a flash drive.
There was an article published about a year ago with some of the details and some of th details are still classified above top secrete
here are a few links along the same lines that I think you will fine interesting

https://www.computerworld.com/articl...could-use.html

https://www.wired.com/2011/08/siemen...oded-password/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuxnet
Old July 11th, 2018, 02:07 AM   #8
cardosocea
United Kingdom

I think it's established that Stuxnet made its way in via the engineers working at the plant.

Now, if you look at the number of engineers familiar with nuclear power that could travel in and out of Iran without raising issues, the number will be small (I think).

One other thing that I become sorely aware while doing installation and commissioning is that the guys doing installation and commissioning need to be administrators on their computers to install whatever software they need for an instrument, switch or whatever... they also don't travel with two laptops, spend a long time away from home and at times have long stretches with nothing to do apart from watching videos... and they do not turn down an offer from anyone to see the latest and greatest that has hit the shelves or cinemas.
Old July 11th, 2018, 04:33 AM   #9
AustralIan
United Kingdom

* adds "must have two laptops" to Industrial Control Systems Cyber Security requirements for contractors.
Old July 11th, 2018, 06:13 AM   #10
geniusintraining
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

How much of this is fear mongering? I know its real but I do think that a lot of money is made from conspiracy theories and fear mongering, if there is not a market for your product then make one...
www.PLCCable.com PLC Communication Cables, PLC Trainers, Fluke Meters, MicroLogix, ControlLogix, Siemens, Allen Bradley and more... all your automation needs... ((NEW)) After Market 1784-U2DHP Allen Bradley USB to DH+ and Gateways
Old July 11th, 2018, 06:26 AM   #11
cardosocea
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustralIan View Post
* adds "must have two laptops" to Industrial Control Systems Cyber Security requirements for contractors.
This isn't really feasible... companies aren't going to issue a "personal" laptop for use of their employees. And if they did it would be so shitty, that employees would likely use theirs either way.

What I find, and this obviously depends on the environment and license agreements in place, is for the engineers to use the local engineering station and the project file goes through an anti-virus check.

Mind you that it can still fail, but it's less likely to give headaches... Or just move all the SCADA bits to Linux and get done with it.
Old July 11th, 2018, 06:59 AM   #12
AustralIan
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardosocea View Post
move all the SCADA bits to Linux.
I'm in!

Next, the PLC programming software.
Old July 11th, 2018, 09:23 AM   #13
harryting
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by geniusintraining View Post
How much of this is fear mongering? I know its real but I do think that a lot of money is made from conspiracy theories and fear mongering, if there is not a market for your product then make one...
I can go on my soap box and talks for hours on this topic, as it's been quite a pain point for me in the last few years. Some of my very condensed thoughts...

- look at this forum for example, we don't even have consensus among the people who are doing ICS for a living. So, ya, it's a problem.

- Compliance does not equal Security.

- IT does not understand ICS but they tend to run the show for most larger operation.

- Security doesn't mean spending a lot of money (again, not talking about Compliance), but requires some consensus on basic IT hygiene practice.

- ICS folks need to step up to the plate more and get more educated on the topic.
Old July 11th, 2018, 10:16 AM   #14
BryanG
United Kingdom

Just to give a different view because I like to be awkward.

How many threads do we have here where we discuss the possibilities and Stuxnet (61 threads that mention Stuxnet). How many threads where a member has actually discovered a worm or virus in their PLC systems, I don't actually remember one. I am sure someone will point me to a thread to prove me wrong, but we are putting a lot of time in to worrying about something that doesn't seem to be happening much. I am not saying we shouldn't be secure, but maybe don't close the concrete bunker lid quite yet. If you are running a power or water purification plant perhaps some paranoia is justified, but average Joe using a PLC to run his dust extraction system is probably OK.
Old July 11th, 2018, 10:23 AM   #15
Aabeck
United States

And I just got an email that Siemen's now has a PC/PLC combo unit - so now it can be attacked in stereo.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum