Replacing an induction motor and VFD with a Stepper motor and drive

nuwan

Hi! Would it be possible to replace an induction motor (VFD controlled) with a stepper motor and drive? Are there any advantages by doing so, especially considering the cost?

Thanks in advance for any of your answers!

Hi! Would it be possible to replace an induction motor (VFD controlled) with a stepper motor and drive? Are there any advantages by doing so, especially considering the cost?

Thanks in advance for any of your answers!

Your question can be very educational when more information is added to interest those with expert opinion.

Why and how the decision was made to make the change?
What is the application.
What size of motor are we talking about?
How is it controlled?

Thank you for all the replies. What I had in mind is induction motors from 1 HP to 15 HP and applications such as pumps, conveyors, industrial washing machines, etc. where 3-phase induction motors (running at maximum 60 Hz) are used widely with VFD speed control.

By stepper motors I was not referring to close loop stepper / servo motors. So would it give any benefits by replacing with stepper motors?

Stepper motors aren't a new invention, if is was cheaper or more practical to use a stepper motor in an application, you can be pretty certain that it would already be done. You can get big stepper motors but because of the physics the bigger they get the slower is their maximum speed.

It would probably only make sense below 1/8hp or so, based on speed and relatively low efficiency. Above this, brushless DC is typically used if induction motors are not appropriate.

I can't imagine a 15hp stepper being cost or energy efficient...

Stepper motors are used when accurate control of position and speed are important.

The applications for VFDs you mention are based on control of speed, and precise control of speed isn't required. I don't see any technical advantage to a stepper in these applications, and economics would be worse for a stepper and controller.

There are some applications where conventional induction motors are being replaced with permanent magnet synchronous motors and VFDs, but these are energy sensitive applications where the higher cost is offset by long-term energy decrease.