Factory Talk View ME Station and Studio

sthays

We are looking at purchasing FT View ME Studio, FT View ME Station, and RS Logix 500 for an upcoming project.

My company is requiring all new computers ordered to be loaded with Windows 10. The product page at Rockwell lists Windows 8.1 as the latest operating system that is compatible with Factory Talk, and I couldn't find the latest system requirements for RS Logix 500.

Does anyone know if this software is compatible with Windows 10?

Second question: the Factory Talk ME Station software has licenses for up to 15 stations - we need 2. Is there a smaller license available than 15 stations?

Thanks much!

I have at least one colleague reporting no problems with the current revisions of FactoryTalk View Studio and RSLogix 500 running in Windows 10.

There's a PLCTalk forum member, Operaghost, who does a great deal of pre-release and patched OS testing with RA software, so hopefully he'll weigh in.

FactoryTalk View ME Station is licensed by the number of displays, not "stations". In this context, a "display" isn't the physical computer and monitor, but rather a "screen" in the application.

A 15-display license will let you run on one computer, with an application that has up to 15 different graphical screens with buttons and indicators on them.

So my understanding is that FT View will officially support Win 10 in the next release. Current release is 8.20 as of today. Version 9 is due out later in 2016. Same for RSLogix 500. Version 10.01 due later in 2016. We should see most of the RA software updated to officially support Win10 late in 2016.

I have heard many folks tell me that they are running FactoryTalk View (ME) Studio and Station without issues in Windows 10. I ran it for a while a couple months back and did not have any problems but I wasn't really pushing it. I was using Win 10 with all the latest patches and I was using Studio 8.10 at the time.

I'm not so sure about using SE today with Win10. I would be more inclined to stick with the specs on a production system for SE.

OG

Last edited:
Ken and OG, thank you for the replies. That's incredibly helpful.

And Ken, thank you for clarifying about ME Station re: displays/stations. I need to specify which version of ME Station to purchase - is the latest version also 8.2?

nhatsen, thank you also - I did see that thread but it's almost a year old. I was hoping there would be some additional info.

Yes Station and Studio are both going to be the same revision (8.2 as of today). When you buy the software you will be able to download it direct from RA so you will get the newest revision.

OG

Just spoke to our IT department. We are not allowed to install software that is not certified for the underlying OS. So right now our systems are on Windows 7, and upgrading to Windows 10. Is RS Logix 500 V9.0 certified for Windows 7/8.0/8.1 also? The Rockwell page doesn't list system requirements for RS Logix 500 v9.0 (http://www.rockwellautomation.com/rockwellsoftware/products/rslogix500.page#system-requirements) like it does for Factory Talk (http://www.rockwellautomation.com/r...factorytalk-view-me.page?#system-requirements).

It links to another "Product Compatibility" site that doesn't work in my browser.

Just spoke to our IT department. We are not allowed to install software that is not certified for the underlying OS.

If you can try to get IT out of your environment as much as possible as most can't grasp that things in the industrial manufacturing space don't and can't always conform to corporate IT policy and standards.

We are not allowed to install software that is not certified for the underlying OS

What we did is called it a PLC programmer which is exactly what it is and added it into the software p/o.

We did not set it up to be on the company network system. That way I.T. cannot get there fingers on it. If I want to do research
on the internet I sign in to the company's "guest" browser as a guest.

This "plc programmer" is only used for what it is meant to be a" PLC programmer"

The reason we did this is because when we were installing any of the Rockwell automation we had to call I.T. which is about 12 hrs away and explain to the what we needed. The would give us admin rights one time. Because they would only give it to use one time. We had to keep calling them back and they would give us a new ticket number each time. Which the would put no history attached to it. We would never get the same person answering the phone at I.T.

Last edited:
I'm just going to put this here...
4520714.jpg

We have had some laptops on Windows 10 have issues with FactoryTalk ME (with respect to Linx Enterprise). We ended up running Windows 7 x64 virtual machines on the Windows 10 laptops for compatibility.