AB Rslogix5000 Function Block Programming

In general in can make complex things much easier to code and the function block code is easier to read and many times you can get everything you need in one area of the screen and avoid a lot of scrolling up and down to read the code.

There are some advanced instructions in function block that a lot of people like to use over the ladder equivalent one such example is using the function block PIDE instruction over the ladder PID instruction as it functions much better and has better control and more features.

Function Block programming is, IMO, best to display flow of code if you have a good library of process blocks (like Valves, motors, etc...).

This then allows you to see the inputs leading to the control block and the respective outputs.

Edit: in other words, it reduces the cross referencing a whole lot.