Time synchronize between SLC & RSView32 (workstation) for reporting

ckchew666

Is there anywhere to synch the time between RSView32 (computer) and SLC 500?

I'm doing a reporting (flow hourly and total flow per day) at the end of everday. Reports starts at 6.00 am ends 5.00 am. It'll be updated hourly.

I managed to get the value from the datalog (.dbf) and put them nicely into the Excel, using VB. But the VB only will check the time, when it detected 18:00:00, it'll grab the value from the datalog into the report (Excel). Sometimes the datalog will not starts exactly 18:00:00!

Is that possible for the time in the RSView32 (workstation) to follow time in SLC? Because for someone to change the time in Computer is easier compare to SLC.

If someone change the time in computer, the entire reports will screw up! :(

You can set the time in your slc to follow the time in your workstation - Use RSLogix and open the ladder File associated with your SLC - go online and in the project tree go to Processor Status and on the Main Tab near the bottom right you sill see a "Set Time and Date" Button. This will Sync you SLC Time to your Workstation Time. I don't think its exactly what you were looking for but it's all I could think of.

soop7667 said:
You can set the time in your slc to follow the time in your workstation - Use RSLogix and open the ladder File associated with your SLC - go online and in the project tree go to Processor Status and on the Main Tab near the bottom right you sill see a "Set Time and Date" Button. This will Sync you SLC Time to your Workstation Time. I don't think its exactly what you were looking for but it's all I could think of.

Hi,

Yes, tat's not really what i'm looking for, but thx for ur feedback tho`.

Just curious, what is the address or bit for the 'Set Date & Time' in the RSLogix? Can we set the slc time to synch with computer upon the slc power up (S:1/15)?

You should be able to create a tag that references the date\time in the PLC. We use this with Standard Panelviews as well as Panelview Plus units. Look for system tags either in the tag database or in the panelview setup information.

It's quite easy to create TAGs in RSView to look at the SLC time but is this what you want? Once the tags are set up you can just write over the SLC tag with RSView system time. Or do you want to change the system time in PC to the SLC time? If so, I don't recommend it, since PC keep better time than PLC. Just set user right correctly on your PC to keep people from changing time. Also think about using one of the many time-sync utilities found on the web to make sure your PC is sync corrected to NST. Use google to find one.

harryting said:
It's quite easy to create TAGs in RSView to look at the SLC time but is this what you want? Once the tags are set up you can just write over the SLC tag with RSView system time. Or do you want to change the system time in PC to the SLC time? If so, I don't recommend it, since PC keep better time than PLC. Just set user right correctly on your PC to keep people from changing time. Also think about using one of the many time-sync utilities found on the web to make sure your PC is sync corrected to NST. Use google to find one.

Hi,

Initially I was thinking to use SLC time as the Master and PC (RSView32) will follow the SLC time.

But you mentioned that PC keeps time better than PLC!! Is that true?

The PC is not connected to internet, and yes, you got the point, maybe I can set the PC time as Master and use the utilities or DeskLock to set the priority for changing time.

Anyone try this before?

With RSView32 you should be able to define a "Event" under Logic and Control to have it set the PLC time.

I don't know a easy way to set your PC's time to PLC time, unless you are good with VBA. Most people here would probably agree with me on using the PC time, since it's something you can easily verify. Since your PC is not connected to the internet I can't say if it would be more or less accurate than your PLC's clock.

harryting said:
With RSView32 you should be able to define a "Event" under Logic and Control to have it set the PLC time.

I don't know a easy way to set your PC's time to PLC time, unless you are good with VBA. Most people here would probably agree with me on using the PC time, since it's something you can easily verify. Since your PC is not connected to the internet I can't say if it would be more or less accurate than your PLC's clock.

Hi,

Thx for ur guide, I managed to change the SLC time to follow the PC time. But configuring an event with 'SET' command, I set the S:42, S:41 & S:40 to the PC time everyday once.

Thx. :)

Dear ckchew666 vbmenu_register("postmenu_71822", true);

Will you please send me the VBA code developed for timely data recording from Rsview32.
My requirement is as follows:

1) Operator will eneter two parameters
a) Data Logging interval ( in minutes)
b) For how long you want data recording ( in hours)
2) Two buttons will be there "START RECORDING" & "STOP RECORDING"
3) Operator will have to press start recording to start the procedure.
4) For example Data logging interval is 5 minutes & 8 hours is logging period
then when operator will press "START RECORING " a NEW EXCEL sheet will be created
and row 1 will have tags values ( tags will be pre-defined and pre-added.Operator will not have
a freedom to add tags)
After 5 minutes second row will be created & so on till completion of 8 hours from start time
i.e total 96 record rows will be in the excel file.
After 8 hour period, this excel file will be saved as current date&time format & closed.

Immedistely again new new excel file be opened & process repeated unless operator presses
"STOP RECORDING"

Please help.

Regards.

Vinit

The most common time sync method I use is to have RSView32 as the time keeper by using derived tags. I will set the PC to automatically synchronize the time to a decent time server. Then I create some tags that point to the SLC PLC status registers S:37 to S:42 (One tag for each). Then I create some derived tags (In your project under edit mode, Logic and Control folder, then click on Derived Tags). In the derived tag editor, I set the expression to the appropriate system tag. When you run your project, the date/time (depending on what registers you use) will be set from the PC to the SLC PLC. The disadvantage is that the time may get updated every second and if you have more than one PC running the same project, they will fight by each sending the time to the same PLC.

If you want the PLC to keep the time, reverse the order of the derived tags and make the expression for the system tag equal to the PLC tag. You may also need to prevent users from updating the time directly on the PLC unless it is safe to do so. Where I work, I'm allowed to adjust times on backshifts and weekends when things are shut down.