applying plc to existing control.

hanan

Hi, all.
new to plc. old in normal controls.
got a plc direct 305 controler for one of my machines.
oem.
needs to convert old smoker to plc driven . I dont seems to understand the questions fuji electirc people are asking me re: what typs of i/o I need. I alredy have all the relays (24vac) there.
all I need is to control the timing and various relays trhogh the plc. and according to temp.proccessind based on time.
what am I missing?
Hanan.

PLC intro

You should buy Phil's book from this site and also take the free online tutorial provided here. Getting into plc's is not difficult once you master some of the buzz words and a little basic programming. If you are not interested in either of the suggestions I have just made, well then you are setting out on a journey of discovery on your own. If can be fun to do that, but often very frustrating. So, your choice of what to do but trying to get answers here to your questions may also prove to be quite a task.
But to answer your question on what type of I/O you need. You need to have outputs that can provide the power for your 24V relays, either ac or dc. Inputs have to be compatible with the signaling voltage from your existing control circuits. In the real old days this used to be 120VAC but 24VAC is very popular as are some of the DC type controls. So, pick your I/O according to your needs at the point were the PLC must connect to the machine.

I/O count

Have a Fuji rep come in and assist you in the I/O count. If you can't get a Fuji rep to assist, then maybe you shouldn't do business with Fuji, this may be an indication of future support. The rep may not be willing to do your I/O count for you but he should give you enough pointers to get you going in the right direction. It sounds like you are going to need help identifying what you need, have a well documented survey of limit switches, push-buttons, photo eyes, voltages and other inputs that you use in your process as well as your various outputs, relay coils, lights, solenoids etc. Also list any analog signals and HMI devices. These are some items that Fuji will want to know and the rep. should help you compile this list.
I am not familiar with a plc direct 305, so I am assuming it is related to Fuji.

Roger

Last edited:
As usual I am confused. What does fuji electric have to do with an automation (plc) direct 305 plc?

NOTE:
Inputs are devices like pushbuttons, switches, limit switches, proximity switches, photoeyes....etc

Outputs are devices like starters/contactors, solenoids, relays..etc.

Inputs are devices that "TALK" send control signals by being ON or OFF. Any device you use to initiate an action..ie a START pushbutton...end of travel limit switch for a pneumatic cylinder..etc

Outputs are devices that "DO"..ie perform an action like activate a motor contactor, turn on a light, open or close a valve...etc

Automation (PLC) Direct 305 is of course known to many as the ole GE Funac Series One. Fugi Electric, are they acting as your electrical contractor for this installation? Maybe I'm off base here but it sounds like the questions concerning what type of Input & Outputs you'll need has to do with what 'type' of I/O modules you intend to use in the PLC installation.

plcdirect 305 or fuji.

Hi guys.
sorry for this late reply to your questions.
I couldn't find the thread for some reason.
Plc dl305 I got one working in my machine.
I am serching for 3 more to control other machines (my smoker ovens.
I went to yokogawa, fuji, and mitshubitshi.
the best support I got so far is Here, In the electrical maint. forum and plc direct.
I am still learning the proccess of flow chart translation to rll or boolean. made some progress.
Thanks to the wise advise in these 2 sites.