E-series HMI and Modems

The_Wanderer

Hello All,

Has anybody else had problems communicating through a modem to an E-series HMI?

We have been placing external modems on our machines for a while now, and have no major problems establishing communications with the PLC. The systems in questions are usually an FX series PLC and an E-series HMI (E100, E200, or E700 depending on the system.). The modem cable is plugged into the back of the HMI, and talks with the PLC in passthrough mode. Online monitoring and upload/dowload all work fine. However, if we try to upload or download to the HMI itself, problems occur. Sometimes the software can't find the HMI, sometimes it can. When it does find the HMI and try communicating, the HMI will switch to transfer mode, but will then freeze, and only start working again after a powerdown and reboot.

I have tried adjusting the communications parameters with no success and played with the pass through settings on the HMI with no results either.

The modem itself should not cause problems, as the way I see it in our setup, the modem is merely a verrrrrryyyy long extension lead for the programming cable.

Usually this is not a big problem, as HMI changes are very rare (I never make mistakes :p ), and our customers are all here in Ireland, with nothing more than 3 hours drive away so that if a chnage really is neccessary, it can be done.
Now, though, one of our machines is in Austria and needs a small HMI change. Bit too far to drive now... I am headed over there in a week or so, but need to solve this problem before then.

Any suggestions?

Same thing with E900 !!!

I have the same problem with an E-900. It will not go out of "Transfer mode" IF I do a "READ" or verify of the program within.

It does however works fine when I only download.

The techs from Mitsu told me it was a "bug", they didnot actually use the term bug :( but they told me I had to live with it.

And this is the same wether I use an ethernet connexion or a modem connexion.

I just use an heartbeat in the PLC and a relay to cycle power to the HMI. So when it hangs it gets the REBOOT.

Last edited:
Are you using E-Designer 6.1? You've probably already tried this but i had a similiar problem using a USB to serial the E-615 kept locking up in traser mode until I enable the set speed manually otpion in the coms setting of e-designer.

G'Day the Wanderer,

If I remember rightly, the Com settings between the E-Terminal are 38k however under the modem they are 9600, when you transfer you need to change the settings in the e-designer to the lower baudrate to allow transfer over modem, every time you connect this way. When the E-terminal "Resets" after transfer its comms return to 38k as a default.

Cheers

Mylo

THis may certainly be the case with some "Do#$3lly machinery anyway

SSSccccccchhh Mums the word !!! shutit shutit shutit

Ahh, no, its not for THEM, Mylo. Wouldn't worry if it was...

Too busy to try today, will try changing down to 9600 on Monday, but I think I already have. Maybe Pierre is right, I just might need to buy some RAID! Die Bugs Die!

Okay, so Monday turned into Tuesday turned into Wednesday...

I found myself a bit of time and have been playing with the modem/HMI settings some more. Still no joy.

Pierre, I had the same problem with an E700 a while back, where it would hang in transfer mode when I read or verified the program. Never tried downloading, as the machine was in production and I didn't want to risk losing everything (the HMI erases all memory before receiving new program). Now I am working with an E200, and I can't even get that to TRY a read or verify. Maybe there is an internal difference in communications settings?

I have tried Mylo's suggestion of lowering the baudrate, didn't help.

BTalbot, "set speed manually" didn't help either.

Trying Mitsi tech support tomorrow, but since the modem is no longer supported by them, might have trouble.