Red Lion HMI database invalid?

laserweld

I have a red lion g310C HMI. I have several of them at our facility. I had an issue yesterday where I made a simple change to the software and did an update and it gave me an error saying "no reply from device" after it finished updating the software. The screen just constantly reads "updating" now. After I do a power cycle to the HMI is reads "Invalid database" and lists the network settings. I tried using a usb to resend the software and after several attempts it will give me either the no reply message or I got a message saying database too large which doesn't really make sense since I didn't add anything that would change the size of the database. I can load a database from a different machine and it will load ok onto this HMI. I even tried loading my suspect database onto a different HMI with no luck.

This HMI with the same database has been running fine for years and I make updates frequently. For some reason when I tried to update it yesterday it is now giving me problems. Anyone have any ideas on this?

Last edited:
You have checked that the HMI isn't at fault, you have found that loading the file on to another HMI does cause a problem.

You did work on a copy of the file, and not the original!! In which case go back and make another copy of the original and redo the change to the file. Crazy as it might sound, make some more changes, even if it is just moving things across by a pixel or two, here and there.

If that doesn't fix the problem, then maybe the change is making the database too large, even though it may be a small change.

You have checked that the HMI isn't at fault, you have found that loading the file on to another HMI does cause a problem.

You did work on a copy of the file, and not the original!! In which case go back and make another copy of the original and redo the change to the file. Crazy as it might sound, make some more changes, even if it is just moving things across by a pixel or two, here and there.

If that doesn't fix the problem, then maybe the change is making the database too large, even though it may be a small change.

I tried loading the file onto another new G310C that I keep for a spare and the same thing occurs. So I would say that eliminates the HMI as being the issue. The only change I made was I updated a linked img file with a new one. I did work on the original. One of the first things I tried after having issues was un-doing the changes I made and try re-downloading the file but that did not work. I'm not sure why I was getting an error that the file was too large. Now the only error I get when trying to download is no reply from device after it downloads all of the blocks. It will go through and download all off the blocks but after it gets through to the last one it says clearing configuration data and then I get a "no reply from device" message. I don't seem to get the database too large message anymore.

One thing I did notice about this HMI for a while was everytime I do an update it is very slow to update. I do not have slow link enabled. Typically when I do an update on these HMI's it will only download changes and will update very quickly. On this particular HMI/file, it always takes a good 3-5 minutes to do an update even if I only make a minor change.

Still having this issue!! Contacted RedLion support back in February when I was having the initial issue and the most I could get out of them is the unit is just too old. Makes no sense to me. I did eventually get the database to download after several attempts of re-trying to download. I need to figure this out so I am able to make changes to the database. I'm out of ideas. Anyone have any insight?

I have had one or two occurrences of a corrupted database. My solution was to open another instance of Crimson and recreate it, mostly by dragging and dropping items from the corrupted one to the new one. In my case, I would do a few items, then test it, so I could hopefully avoid copying whatever was "broken" into the new application and detect what ever that was if I did. I remember for one of those cases that I found nothing that seemed to break the new application and it worked fine after I went through all that.

One thing I noticed this morning is I copied my problematic database to another computer (toughbook) and tried downloading and it downloaded no problem. The only thing that is different between the 2 is I am using a lot of IMG primitives which are linked to JPG files on my PC. I did not copy the JPG files to my toughbook and the database downloaded very fast like normal. The IMG primitives are still there but are not linked to any file. I am wondering if this is causing the issue? I am currently copying all of the JPG files over to my toughbook and re-linking them to the IMG primitives and see if the database will still download ok or if it will have issues again.

I just copied all of my linked JPG's over to my toughbook and downloaded the database and it downloaded just fine. A bit slow on the download but completed with no errors. The few things to point out. When using my toughbook I am downloading via USB, when I typically download on my PC I am downloading via TCP/IP. I have tried downloading USB on my PC but that still results in the database invalid or no communication or database too big errors. So it seems to me like it is something weird going on with my PC. I tried uninstalling Crimson and re-installing but that did not help. One other thing to note is I notice when I download via my PC the items download fast until a specific item in my case item 0186, then it starts going very slow. I don't know if there is a way to tell what item 0186 is so I can look at that or maybe that has nothing to do with anything. I am not sure.

It may have something to do with the images. I am not sure how to tell what item numbers refer to in a database. Maybe RL tech support could dig into that.

I have at times lost images in a database by not having the image path set up right when moving between computers. I tend to not use too many images and when I do, I try to optimize them first in paint.net to get the file sizes as small as possible without sacrificing appearance.

It may have something to do with the images. I am not sure how to tell what item numbers refer to in a database. Maybe RL tech support could dig into that.

I have at times lost images in a database by not having the image path set up right when moving between computers. I tend to not use too many images and when I do, I try to optimize them first in paint.net to get the file sizes as small as possible without sacrificing appearance.

I agree, I have already tried to compress the images as much as possible, but seems weird that while loading the database to the unit with the linked images on my toughbook it loads fine, but on my desktop PC it does not. RL tech was a disappointment last time I called. Could have just been a bad tech though. They have been helpful in the past.