Difference between a 1747 cp3 and a normal rs-232 cable(scnm9ff)

bierdo

Hi! I have a new laptop and he doesn't have a COM port. I've tried to communicate with a SLC 5\30 using a 1747-UIC and a RS-232 cable, and it doesn't work... I found that it takes a 1747-CP3 cable to communicate between the 1747-UIC and the SLC... Is someone know how to convert a rs-232 cable into a 1747-cp3 cable? I just need the pinout...

SLC 5/30? Is this a SLC5/03 or a PLC5/30.
The 1747-CP3 is a null modem cable ( see pic below for pin-out)
To convert a straight thru RS232 cable to a null modem cable you need a null-modem adapter (Radio Shack should have one if needed).
Your 1747-UIC is a USB to DH485 converter. The SLC's port will have to be configured for DH485 protocol for it to work.If you have a SLC5/03 then your 1747-UIC will work with its DH485 port see PDF below for cables. If the SLC's port is configured for DF1 then your going to need a USB to serial adapter.
( the "Keyspan" brand is the best. You can get one at link below.
http://www.plctrainer.net/
PinOut_1.jpg

Last edited:
It's a SLC 5/03... I also have a USB to serial (Brand: APC), and if I use this to communicate, which driver will I use in RSLinx?

Last edited:
I would simply use the USB to serial then use DF1 driver to connect the SLC. Be warned though, some USB to serial devices have a limited baud rate. I had a radioshack piece of junk that could only to 9600. I now use a Belkin one and it works on high baud rates.

SLC 5/03 PLC (Processor 1747-L532 C/D) Programming Cable

Hi

I need help,
I need pinout (PC RS232 port) to (PLC Ch0 DB9)
Offline file shows Channel configuration as follows

"Ch0 - DF1 Full Duplex" , "Baud 1200, Parity None",
"Ch01 Driver DH485, Baud 19200",

also need RSLinx communication Procedure.

Pls reply me urgent

The DH 485 cable to use on the 1747-UIC uses a RJ45 connector on each end and is wired straight throug. (i.e. 1-1, 2-2, ... 8-8)
Hope that this helps. It only costs about 2 bucks to make the cable and AB wands $52 for the same thing.

Question About Serial Cable Pinout

SLC 5/30? Is this a SLC5/03 or a PLC5/30.
The 1747-CP3 is a null modem cable ( see pic below for pin-out)
To convert a straight thru RS232 cable to a null modem cable you need a null-modem adapter (Radio Shack should have one if needed).
Your 1747-UIC is a USB to DH485 converter. The SLC's port will have to be configured for DH485 protocol for it to work.If you have a SLC5/03 then your 1747-UIC will work with its DH485 port see PDF below for cables. If the SLC's port is configured for DF1 then your going to need a USB to serial adapter.
( the "Keyspan" brand is the best. You can get one at link below.
http://www.plctrainer.net/
PinOut_1.jpg

I am trying to connect to a SLC 5/03 via a keyspan usb to serial converter and a homemade cable. I noticed there is a difference in this diagram and the diagram from allen bradley for the serial comm cable http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/in/1747-in518_-en-p.pdf

Pin 1 on both connectors in this pinout show a connection. In the Allen Bradley pinout there is no connection. Other pinout drawings as well do not show the connection between 1. Is this pinout listed above incorrect?

I'm no expert on the handshaking pins. I think both ways will work.

But if you are making your own cable then all you need is pins 2,3 and 5.

I'm no expert on the handshaking pins. I think both ways will work.

But if you are making your own cable then all you need is pins 2,3 and 5.

Thanks Mickey. I actually got the right pinouts on the cable. 1-1 is not supposed to be terminated on both ends of the cable. I'm using all 8 wires on the connector as setup in the pinout.

What bothers me is that I have the same cable and keyspan converter at work, and I can connect to an SLC 5/05 via DF1 RS232 without any problems. I bought the same keyspan converter and serial cable from work, and downloaded the keyspan driver to be assigned for COM port 5 on my desktop. I have a 5/03 processor at home that I'm trying to connect to now and I keep getting this message in RS Linx "Unable to verify settings due to packet timeout! Check all cables and configuration and try again".

I can easily connect to a micrologix 1000 with a different cable and interface converter and different COM port with RSLink and RSLogix 500.

So I'm pretty sure I have it nailed down with the cable and interface converter. I'm guessing there might be something to configure in the keyspan converter software on my desktop (Keyspan Serial Assistant)? I'll check the settings on the laptop at work tomorrow to try to see what I'm doing wrong here. Thanks!

This SLC5/03 , does it have a program in it? If so do you have the offline file to check how the ports are configured? The serial port can be configured for DH485,DF1 and ASCII.
If this is just something to learn with then you might condiser defaulting to factory setting. ( DF1 protocol) See proecedure below.

This SLC5/03 , does it have a program in it? If so do you have the offline file to check how the ports are configured? The serial port can be configured for DH485,DF1 and ASCII.
If this is just something to learn with then you might condiser defaulting to factory setting. ( DF1 protocol) See proecedure below.

Thanks for your response. That was actually going to be my next question, thinking it was not configured on channel 0 for DF1 protocol. Yes, it's for learning purposes and I don't really need the program that's in there now, but it would of been kinda cool to see!(y) For now, I'll take your recommendation and clear the memory to see if it helps. I'll post back. Thanks Mickey.