Soil Nutrient Reporting

MichaelKlump

Hello, all.
I have currently been tasked with automating the irrigation system at a vineyard for table grapes. The work with turning the water on and off will be simple enough, however I am unsure where to begin when it comes to the instrumentation needed to monitor the soil.

The company currently uses tension sensors to sense moisture levels. Is there some kind of equivalent sensor that will give me an analog signal for a plc?

On a similar vein, is there any sensor that can report information on the nutrients in the soil, so that I can report whether fertilizer needs to be added?

Any direction would be appreciated. Thanks for your help.

I have nothing useful to add, but this sounds like a fun project! I'll hang around to see if anything useful turns up that I could use in my already well over-engineered balcony garden watering system ;)

Hello, all.
I have currently been tasked with automating the irrigation system at a vineyard for table grapes. The work with turning the water on and off will be simple enough, however I am unsure where to begin when it comes to the instrumentation needed to monitor the soil.

The company currently uses tension sensors to sense moisture levels. Is there some kind of equivalent sensor that will give me an analog signal for a plc?

On a similar vein, is there any sensor that can report information on the nutrients in the soil, so that I can report whether fertilizer needs to be added?

Any direction would be appreciated. Thanks for your help.

I thought the idea was interesting, so a I did a little Google research and stumbled across this site.

http://metos.at/sensors/

They seem to have just about every kind of sensor you could ask for.

@ASF You may not want to visit this site, due to concerns over your bank account. :rolleyes:

Contact Banner engineering wireless group. We did a project several years ago that they needed the moisture content of a mulch pile. We mounted a sensor on,the end of a rod that someone carried arpund and probed the ground to get the reading. They have several temperature and humidity sensors,