Looking for career advice in PLC/automation industry

detroitPLC

Hello everyone,

I'm in a unique position and would really appreciate some career advice from people familiar with the automation industry.

I worked as an industrial automation engineer in my home country before coming to the US in 1999. This was back in the days of relays, etc. Since coming to the US, I've taken classes and studied PLCs on my own, and it's been a very much uphill battle. Meanwhile I've worked in the automation industry mainly as a technician, learning how to configure PLC, networks, devices, etc. I also have a general understanding of ladder logic, AutoCAD, cycle of operations etc.

My biggest limitation is that none of my previous positions were willing to train me in actual PLC programming (even though I asked many times). Because of this I lack the direct programming experience that should go with my many years of electrical automation background and experience.

I understand that many young PLC engineers learn by diving head-first in to a project, with a lot trial and error. This is not my style; I'm the type that needs to understand the concepts and specifics of a project before getting to work. Unfortunately in this industry there are few employers willing to provide training (everyone is looking for PLC guy who can hit the ground running).

So basically I'm at the point where I know much more than the guys in the shop, but I'm not yet comfortable working as a full time engineer. It seems that most jobs are either searching for one or the other, and I'm having a hard time finding a job that is a good fit.

The way I see it, I would do well in one of these types of position:

1) Entry level PLC engineer where I could receive training and guidance from an experienced engineer for a period of time
or
2) A controls-focused, cross discipline position where I can work with both engineers and electricians to bridge the gap between the office and the shop.

However each has a major issue with respect to my situation:
(1) -> My age (over 50) limits me both by the fact that many employers are not willing to train, and also I don't do well with positions with a lot of travel

(2) -> I'm not sure if this type of position even exists (though it seems like it would be very useful from a company's point of view).

I would really appreciate any advice on what steps I can take next to keep advancing my career in engineering.
Thank you in advance.

I'm a contractor also based in Detroit and the flexibility of travel is a necessity. I don't have to travel often but I am expected to be able commission machines or robots that I've programmed on the end customer's floor.

I understand employer's not wanting to spend the money to train you, turnover can be high, and they hate to spend the money and then have the employee leave for another job. Thus, I've spent my own money and time acquiring a programming skill if the employer didn't want to. I have no problem with it, its an investment in myself.

What side of town are you located?

One phrase that comes to mind....

"Fake it till you make it!!"

Don't undersell yourself by going for an entry level position, it sounds like you have plenty of experience.
Oversell yourself and learn the ropes when you get in.

This is not my style

You may be putting yourself into a hole by stating that. Even if something isn't your style, you need to express the willingness to learn/try when interviewing and applying.

Like dow said - fake it till you make it! During interviews if something comes up that you're not familiar with don't say no, just say you have knowledge of the concept and did not have the opportunity to work with it extensively at your last employer. Make a mental note and then study up on that concept that evening - that way you're more prepared if you get the job or have more knowledge for the next interview. There's a ton of resources on here to help with that!

I am in north west area,I had in mind at one moment to have my own RSLogix 5000 and Factory talk now that I have good programs to see for myself.

I would take PLC course at the local Vo-Tech, I did one last year. About 90 hrs, $585. I am a Siemens guy, but want to learn some AB, this was the cheapest option to do that.

You end up with a certificate, that would "proof" you have the basic programming skills. Many of the guys in my class we're offered a job after completing the course.

Unfortunately in this industry there are few employers willing to provide training (everyone is looking for PLC guy who can hit the ground running).

Yes, that is what they want but they will not find that guy. I think all the guys that can hit the ground running are currently employed and quite busy. An employer has got to pay more to get them to switch over. Get that situation to work to your advantage.

Hello everyone,

I'm in a unique position and would really appreciate some career advice from people familiar with the automation industry.

I worked as an industrial automation engineer in my home country before coming to the US in 1999. This was back in the days of relays, etc. Since coming to the US, I've taken classes and studied PLCs on my own, and it's been a very much uphill battle. Meanwhile I've worked in the automation industry mainly as a technician, learning how to configure PLC, networks, devices, etc. I also have a general understanding of ladder logic, AutoCAD, cycle of operations etc.

My biggest limitation is that none of my previous positions were willing to train me in actual PLC programming (even though I asked many times). Because of this I lack the direct programming experience that should go with my many years of electrical automation background and experience.

I understand that many young PLC engineers learn by diving head-first in to a project, with a lot trial and error. This is not my style; I'm the type that needs to understand the concepts and specifics of a project before getting to work. Unfortunately in this industry there are few employers willing to provide training (everyone is looking for PLC guy who can hit the ground running).

So basically I'm at the point where I know much more than the guys in the shop, but I'm not yet comfortable working as a full time engineer. It seems that most jobs are either searching for one or the other, and I'm having a hard time finding a job that is a good fit.

The way I see it, I would do well in one of these types of position:

1) Entry level PLC engineer where I could receive training and guidance from an experienced engineer for a period of time
or
2) A controls-focused, cross discipline position where I can work with both engineers and electricians to bridge the gap between the office and the shop.

However each has a major issue with respect to my situation:
(1) -> My age (over 50) limits me both by the fact that many employers are not willing to train, and also I don't do well with positions with a lot of travel

(2) -> I'm not sure if this type of position even exists (though it seems like it would be very useful from a company's point of view).

I would really appreciate any advice on what steps I can take next to keep advancing my career in engineering.
Thank you in advance.

I'm in your area and the Travel is the biggest killer. The only reason I'm still in the business is because I landed a (rare) job that doesn't require much of it. I even said no once and they didn't fire me. I spent a lot of time looking, and even got out of the industry for several years because of it.

That said - I'm on the engineering end. Do you do autocad? If so, you might be able to land on this side easier that you'd think. There are tons of guys in engineering that design these panels and have never physically built one themselves - so your experience could be very valuable in that aspect.

You are also much less likely to travel in engineering. With a programming job, you will likely travel a ton in our area.

I'm not sure how close to the border you are. Monroe County Community college and Owens in Toledo offer excellent PLC courses.

This is not my style

You don't need to walk into a factory and start programming a PLC to start venturing into the programming aspects of industrial automation. There are plenty of cheap options to get your hands on software and hardware (or additional simulation software) so that you can start tinkering on your own time. Especially with ladder programming, you'll find that your knowledge and experience will translate nicely into an understanding of how to craft a program.

Some of us were lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time, or know the right people, and get training. I think you'll find that many more of us found success by just picking up the puzzle and starting to try and solve it ourselves. It won't take long for you to learn enough ladder that you can draw up simple programs on command.

Sometimes new careers take a new style! You gotta be willing and able to step outside of your comfort zone if you want to grow. This forum is a fantastic resource for you to ask questions and receive guidance, so I would recommend grabbing some software, writing a simple flowchart for some process you imagine, and then trying to write your own program. F1 will be your best friend!

Good luck! 👨🏻‍🏫

I am at the point where I took plcs & robots courses,went through most of the instructions and at work I had the chance to be involved with the engineering side of project.I have got
some standards,good plc programs but I do not have access to vmware with RSLogix 5000 and Factory Talk.What do you recommend in this situation?

I think you are right.Based on my background and experience I think I could be very useful from the start of the project with engineering side of it,ACAD,to be between office and shop during execution and start up.I was always interested and involved with the big picture.