On-site now: Kinetics 6000, fault 16 - Logix 5000 (w/pretty pictures!)

AutomationTechBrian

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm fairly new to working with servo control. My training is coming, but I have a customer that needs help right now, so I'm trying to read/work my way through it to help him out.

He saw that the "arm" was not in the right position, so he forcibly moved it while it was powered up. Afterwards, the Kinetics 6000 drive showed a fault 16. I'm trying to figure out how to eliminate the fault or move the arm to a position in the range, then reset the home position.

I tried to understand the process for resetting fault 16 before I got on-site. The posts said to change the fault action to "status only" for soft overtravel to eliminate the fault, and then jog it back into position to clear the fault. Then I could work on getting the "home" reset.

As you see in the pictures, it is more complicated. Changing the fault action did not work. I think there are issues I can't clear. Not sure how to proceed. Any thoughts? (see attached picture)

Fault16.png

I do know how to access the motion direct commands. I appear to be stuck until I can clear the fault.

I was looking forward to learning this stuff... maybe in a little better circumstances, though!

MotionDirect.png

Update: I figured it out. Problem is solved.

Found a way to re-position and re-calibrate that axis through a maintenance screen on the HMI that the customer did not know existed.

Well done for getting this sorted.

The Softlimits can be Enabled/ Disabled and Changed via the SSV Function.

If you look through the homing routine- you will probably find a couple of these blocks where the SoftLimits need to be overwritten in order to get the machine back to a certain position.

As you quite rightly experienced; if there is a mechanical fault and something physically moves and the encoder position is now no longer relative to actual position then sometimes these soft limits need to be overwritten.

With regards to Drive/ Fault Resetting; there is normally an output tag "DriveName.ClearFault" or something like this, however it should not be written to unless the "DriveName.PhysicalAxisFault" tag is High.

The Motion Direct Commands can also come in useful when the logic is incomplete and/or doesnt work. In order to execute any Motion; the Servo must first have the Servo Loop closed via the "MSO" the important thing to note here is that your "Drive Enable" must be powered, this is the hardwired servo release signal. Once you have this you are pretty much free to execute any motion you wish.

Regards

Daniel

Regards

Daniel

Thanks for the info. I get a little lost just reading the manual. There is too much information to sort and evaluate when you're under pressure. A summary of what to look for is appreciated!

Thanks for the info. I get a little lost just reading the manual. There is too much information to sort and evaluate when you're under pressure. A summary of what to look for is appreciated!

If your company have access to the RSTrainer Packages; id highly recommend having a look at the "RSLogix5000: Motion Control" section. It gives you a great oversight into the 2 Axis/ SERCOS/ Ethernet/IP Hardware and Architecture as well as Tag Types (SERVO_DRIVE, AXIS_SERVO_DRIVE and CIP_AXIS) and Motion Commands.

It then concludes with an assessment of your understanding.

Regards

Daniel.