1756 ENBT Module - Firmware detail

jm.shafi

Hi, can anyone clarify me the firmware and version details given below?
Control Logix 1756 L55 Controller has one EtherNet Comm module 1756 ENBT. The firmware version is 1.6. Software version is(Rslogix5000) 10. I have an ENBT new module and I want to replace with old one. The new module's firmware version is 3.6.
Here do I need to downgrade the firmware version or it can be acceptable with the same firmware version?

If I understand correctly, you have an L55 processor with Version 10 software and an ENBT module in the same rack with version 1.6 firmware. You are wanting to replace the ENBT with a new one that has version 3.6 firmware.

If this is the case, it should not be an issue to go online with the processor and modify the firmware version of the ENBT module in the I/O configuration folder. You can also disable electronic keying which will ignore any firmware revision conflicts between what you say you have installed and what really is installed. If it does not allow you to do it while online, you may have to go offline and make the change then download, but I believe you can do it online.

Hope this helps.

Is there something wrong with the ENBT that you are using?
If all you are desiring is the newer firmware, then just flash the module. The latest firmware revisions are at 4.??. Check the RA website for the latest.

This may have already been broadcast to everyone, but then again...
The attached Rockwell Product Service advisory dated Oct. 2007 addresses issues with a defective ASIC module used in many of Rockwell's ControlLogix hardware.

I was only assuming this was the reason to change out the ENBT.

If the 1756-ENBT came with version 1.6 firmware, it is almost certainly too old to be part of the Atmel64 PSA of 2007.

If the module is being used to control I/O over Ethernet, then the "Disable Electronic Keying" selection must be made. This can be done online in run mode. While it does break existing bridged I/O connections when you change Electronic Keying, that will not matter in this case because the module has just been inserted and has not established any connections.

If the module is not being used to control I/O over Ethernet, no changes need to me made to any settings in the controller. The module must be configured for the correct IP address and subnet/gateway settings, of course, using RSLinx Classic or the BootP/DHCP utility.

I will try it and will give you the feedback.Thanks for your details, Roach, Lectrofly and Oakley

Last edited: