Flex I/O on E-net from PLC5

We are going to be upgrading some equipment in our planer mill. It currently is being controlled by a PLC5/80E, and the new equipment will be using a new Control Logix processor.

The install is scheduled for only 9 days, so we are trying to make the control switch over as smooth as possible prior the shutdown.

The new processor will be in a different location and there are a lot of devices that will not be changed with this upgrade. We are looking at installing Flex I/O in the remote locations now, so that we only have to run the Comms cable and the control power to the new processor.

The question I have is if it possible at all to control Flex I/O from a PLC5 using 1794-AENT adapter module. We want to use Flex I/O since we already use it in other applications, and since the Compact Logix will control all of its remote I/O with Ethernet we want to use that if possible to avoid buying another adapter module for only a short time.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to put as much info as possible so you understand what I am trying to do.;)

RIO is a good medium, old yes, easy to work with, no....BUT, it is solid, and in older plants very much a presence. Sometimes you have to work with what you've got. I have done a couple of PLC5 -> ControlLogix upgrades and to keep costs down, downtime short, and reliability up continuing to use the RIO had benefits.

In your case, you mentioned CompactLogix, I don't believe you can get an RIO adapter for a CompactLogix system so your flex IO install may have to wait until you do your controller swap.

9 days seems like a very generous window to swap things out, of course size and scope play a role. If you have the manpower and plan things out things can go well. I have swapped an entire plant, 6 remote IO panels, and 1 controller panel from one platform to another in less than 24 hours. Helped that I had a great team to pull it off. We did extensive testing/simulation before hand and had the manpower to tackle all of the hardware replacement and wiring.

We have also swapped PLC5s to ControlLogix controllers in less than 24 hours as well. Again, if you have planned it out, and tested it goes well. 1 day to do the work, 8 days of vacation!!!!!!

Last edited:
We have also swapped PLC5s to ControlLogix controllers in less than 24 hours as well. Again, if you have planned it out, and tested it goes well. 1 day to do the work, 8 days of vacation!!!!!!

Actually, 8 days of waiting for the millwrights to install the machinery and one day to be asked why we aren't done yet.:confused: o_O