Micrologix 1400 Unknown compiler error

success

Hi all

when i tried to upload program from micrologix 1400 series b Firmware rev 14 , at the end of upload i am getting unknown compiler error.
please guide me how to upload program from micrologix 1400 controller or PM me any link to utilities.
in RSlinx it shows as series B, but when i tried to upload at create new file prompt window it is showing as series A.
I think engineer before me downloaded series A program into series B controller.
I don not have tech contract and i do not have old backup file to download / overwrite it.

Is there any alternative to it. As of my knowledge it is programmed with RSL500 v8.3.
I tried to upload the program with all available versions, 8.1, 8.3, 8.4, 9, 10, 11.

You've had no replies so far so I'll take the hit and be the bad guy here. I'll start off by not getting your hopes up. I think it may end being the case that you cannot Upload from this controller and would require having a copy of the original program - something you say you do not have. The following is mostly to explain to you about the different Series you are seeing, more so than providing you any meaningful solutions...

success said:
...in RSlinx it shows as series B, but when i tried to upload at create new file prompt window it is showing as series A...

For the different "Series" you are seeing you need to be aware of what you are looking at in the different places you are looking...

Aside from checking software references, have you checked the hardware Series on the sticker on the right side of the MicroLogix 1400 controller to make sure which hardware Series it actually is? Of course, this can be difficult if there are expansion modules to the right of the controller, blocking your view, and if the system is running and you cannot stop it to power down and remove the modules. If none are fitted then you should be able to see it?

Either way we'll move on to the Series you are seeing in software...

Series displayed in RSLinx Classic

In RSLinx Classic, when you browse through the AB_ETHIP-1 driver and can see the MicroLogix 1400 controller live, it will display as something similar to the following under the "Online Name" column...

1766-L32BWA B/14.02

Here the controller is reporting its Base type (1766-L32BWA) and its firmware Series and revision (B/14.02) from its Identity Object. Series B here refers to the Series of firmware currently loaded in the controller, also referred to as the "Operating System Series" or "OS Series". It is not referring to anything to do with hardware. For these controllers, the firmware is also referred to as the "Operating System Firmware Revision Number" or "OS FRN".

So we say the controller's firmware is at...

OS Series B
OS FRN 14.02

Again, nothing to do with the actual hardware. So the controller could still be Series A or B hardware.

Series displayed during Upload from the controller

When we create a new project for a MicroLogix 1400 controller in RSLogix 500, up to v8.1, we can see that there is only "Processor Type: Bul.1766 MicroLogix 1400 Series A" available for the hardware selection.

When we create a new project for a MicroLogix 1400 controller in RSLogix 500, at v8.3 or higher, we can see that there is also "Processor Type: Bul.1766 MicroLogix 1400 Series B" available for the hardware selection.

These are both referring to the controller hardware Series A or B.

Using either RSLogix 500 version you can select Series A hardware for the project and download that project to a Series A or B hardware controller.
However, you cannot select Series B hardware for the project and download to a Series A hardware controller.

When you attempt to Upload from the controller, the "Going to Online Programming State" popup window is displaying under the "Online Processor Information" section...

Processor Type: Bul.1766 MicroLogix 1400 Series A

This is displaying the hardware Series that was selected for the project and was downloaded into the controller. Again, nothing to do with the actual hardware. So the controller could still be Series A or B hardware.

"If" you were online to a MicroLogix 1400 controller, where you did not know which Series hardware it actually is, and you go to "Processor Status", then the "Proc" tab - here you will see listed...

Example:-

OS Catalog Number "1400"
OS Series "B"
OS FRN "14.2"

Processor Catalog Number "1766-LEC"
Processor Series "B"
Processor FRN "3.0"

Here we can see that the OS Series (firmware) and the Processor Series (hardware) are both Series B. The "Proc" tab does read in the actual hardware Series from the controller. However, that is just my example. In your case, there is still the possibility that the actual controller could be Series A or B hardware. Being able to see the sticker on the side of the controller is the only real way for you to know for certain, seeing as you cannot currently go online to check the "Proc" tab.

success said:
...I think engineer before me downloaded series A program into series B controller...

You are probably basing that theory on the fact that RSLinx Classic displays "B". But you now know that the "B" is referring to the OS Series (firmware) and not the hardware Series. If you know the hardware Series from the sticker, then you can be sure of the above. If you do not know the actual hardware Series then you cannot be sure and it is still possible your controller is Series A or B hardware.

So, in your current predicament, and without the sticker info, it would be difficult to tell if the original Engineer...

1. ...used older software and could only choose Series A for Processor Type, and then downloaded to a Series B controller.

2. ...used older software and could only choose Series A for Processor Type, and then correctly downloaded to a Series A controller.

3. ...had newer software but accidentally or did not care and chose Series A instead of Series B for Processor Type, and then downloaded to a Series B controller.

Neither piece of software that can view the controller online (RSLinx Classic and Upload) are able to tell you the actual hardware Series for your controller. Even the MicroLogix 1400's LCD display menu "System Info" only provides the FRN. Unless you can get online to this controller, the sticker is your only bet for learning the actual hardware Series.

But aside from all that serious Series stuff, where does this leave you?...

success said:
...I tried to upload the program with all available versions, 8.1, 8.3, 8.4, 9, 10, 11.

(Note: there is actually v12.00 now as well)

If the Upload attempt is saying that there is a project in the controller that was selected for "Processor Type: Bul.1766 MicroLogix 1400 Series A", then RSLogix v8.1 or higher should all be able to Upload to a new file successfully from this controller. If you are getting that "unknown compiler error", then unfortunately it appears that the online copy of the project has a minor error of some sort which is not necessarily faulting the controller but is making the controller inaccessible. No one with any version of RSLogix 500 is going to be able to Upload from this controller. You would need an up-to-date offline copy of the project verified and downloaded to the controller again.

Like I said, not good news, by the looks of it.

I know you do not have a TechConnect Contract so I am just posting this here for others now or in the future...

8711 - Upload failed! Unknown compiler error! - when trying to get online with SLC or MicroLogix controller
Access Level: TechConnect

Even though you cannot read that, I can assure you that none of the 3 solution in there are of use to you. I'm not listing the causes but just the solutions...

1. This solution requires editing and downloading an offline copy of the project - you do not have a copy. Or, if using an SLC 500 or MicroLogix 1000 controller - you can use the provided "UploadUtility.exe" to perform an Upload using PLC-500 DOS software. I can assure you that this utility will not work with the MicroLogix 1400...

PLC-500%20-%20ML1400%20Upload%20Attempt.JPG

2. This solution also requires editing and downloading an offline copy of the project. Or, using the same PLC-500 DOS software to Upload - will not work.

3. This solution requires using a compatible newer version of RSLogix 500 that supports the features in the controller - you have tried up to v11.

I'm sorry, but without a copy of the original project I do not think you will be able to work with this particular controller?

Perhaps not "success"ful here? But I do like your name!

Regards,
George

Thankyou Mr.George.

I will contact the OEM and get an old offline copy(probably too old).
I I will download that and trial run the machine to see what modifications i need to do in the program.
will plan it in next plant shutdown period.