OOP in TIA and the missing of alarms and datalog in it

userxyz

Hi,

In the prototype machine building industry I have made a standard that is continously improved. It is made in TIA with the use of UDT's, FACEPLATE's and all made in a TYPE library. So for each device I have a standard FC with UDT and a FACEPLATE. So far so good. By working this way I am working in OOP. What I miss in my Faceplates is the linking with Alarms and datalogs. It would be amazing if that was possible too. Maybe some of you know Archestra, in Archestra you can add objects that contain everything of the object.

What am I looking for:
I want a method for alarm creation in the same faceplate, maybe I should use text list inside the faceplate as a workaround... or maybe I should consider PDiag...

Datalog can also not be added in the faceplate...

OOP is nice, but my feel is that TIA misses those 2 things to be able to think completely OOP about FC + UDT + Faceplate.

How do you guys feel about this OOP thing in TIA ?

faceplate.png

valve.png

Assuming this is a 1500, and if you were using an FB instead of an FC, then you could use the ProgramAlarm instruction to create all your alarms in the PLC. The nice part is that you can make the alarms dynamic with tags, instance names, etc, to customize the alarms for each instance of the block.

Data logging could be done in the PLC as well (to memory card). If you want that in the HMI, then it is part of the tag definition, which you're right, isn't very OOP. But you need to declare e HMI tags anyway, so that part can't really be OOP regardless.

resources

Doesn't ProgramAlarm takes too much resources in memory ?
Is it based on Alarm_S like PDiag uses ?

Logging on MMC is new, is it a good way ??? can you take the MMC card out to take the files of ?

Kind regards,
Combo

Assuming this is a 1500, and if you were using an FB instead of an FC, then you could use the ProgramAlarm instruction to create all your alarms in the PLC. The nice part is that you can make the alarms dynamic with tags, instance names, etc, to customize the alarms for each instance of the block.

Data logging could be done in the PLC as well (to memory card). If you want that in the HMI, then it is part of the tag definition, which you're right, isn't very OOP. But you need to declare e HMI tags anyway, so that part can't really be OOP regardless.

Doesn't ProgramAlarm takes too much resources in memory ?
Is it based on Alarm_S like PDiag uses ?

It runs on a similar concept to the Alarm_S style blocks, but it was redone for the 1500. The older blocks are no longer available. I'm not familiar with the memory concerns, could you elaborate?

Logging on MMC is new, is it a good way ??? can you take the MMC card out to take the files of ?

Kind regards,
Combo

You can access the files on the SD card via the web page. You can also take the SD card out to grab the files, but obviously not while the PLC is running.

The SD cards for the 1200/1500 still need to be from Siemens, but they are at least compatible with a standard SD card reader in windows.

There are speed limitations with how often data can be written. If you want to record a bunch of tags at 5ms, this isn't the solution for that.

There are also obviously SD card lifecycle limitations as well; flash memory can only take so many writes. in newer FW revs, the system lets you check how much of the expected life of the card you've used, so you can prevent issues.

test

I'm testing Program_Alarm.
First thing I've noticed is that I can only enter this block in an FB...

Kind regards,
Combo

It runs on a similar concept to the Alarm_S style blocks, but it was redone for the 1500. The older blocks are no longer available. I'm not familiar with the memory concerns, could you elaborate?

You can access the files on the SD card via the web page. You can also take the SD card out to grab the files, but obviously not while the PLC is running.

The SD cards for the 1200/1500 still need to be from Siemens, but they are at least compatible with a standard SD card reader in windows.

There are speed limitations with how often data can be written. If you want to record a bunch of tags at 5ms, this isn't the solution for that.

There are also obviously SD card lifecycle limitations as well; flash memory can only take so many writes. in newer FW revs, the system lets you check how much of the expected life of the card you've used, so you can prevent issues.