O.T IP surveilance cameras hardware and software

allscott

I am looking to replace an old video camera system on a couple of our production lines. The current systems each consists of 11 analog cameras on each line looking at various points of the production. These cameras are tied into switches in the control room so that the operators can look at various areas of the production. Another set of monitors exists on another level of the plant so that operators there can monitor the same thing.

These cameras are old, obsolete, and expensive to maintain so I would like to replace these with an IP based system. I currently have a new fibre optic ring throughout the plant with POE gigabit switches that I can use to tie the new cameras into.

My question is about the camera hardware and software. I have never specified or set up one of these systems so I am looking for recommendations on camera hardware suited for a dirty, hot, and humid industrial environment. The cameras need to be able to focus from about a 2' to 20' range. The cameras do not need to pan (zooming is not necessary but might be a nice feature), and I do not need any recording capability.

For software I am looking for a package that lets the operator switch between cameras and has the ability to provide a Split Screen type view for viewing several cameras at once. For monitors I plan on using some sort of industrial type TV in the 42" range for the main viewing station and industrial LCD monitors for the remote viewing station.

Any recommendations on particular hardware or software that someone could recommend to accomplish this would be appreciated.

Hello,

PeakHMI can communicate with several IP cameras and encoders.

The choice of camera is ... difficult.

I know of one customer using Trendnet, I think his environment is harsh.

Other customers are using older type cameras with Axis or Moxa multi-port video encoders or multi-purpose cameras, like the MicroPack fire detector that has a video output.

Last edited:
I'd also recommend AXIS. I've used a couple different brands on projects, and have had the least trouble with initial setup or camera life when I used AXIS.

We're using Panasonic cameras for our actor safety cameras:

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Pa...m_mmc=acquirgy-_-google-_-CDW+Skus-_-WV-SP305

They don't ship with lenses - I discovered this the hard way. The lens is selectable; this allows you to pick the zoom range you need.

POE capable, and rock solid. If you need to environmentally protect the cameras, consider an outdoor-rated camera enclosure. They're cheap, and the ones I've used do a good job of keeping rain, dust, etc... out.

As for viewer software, there are plenty of multi-camera viewing programs available. The Panasonics will talk to most of them. The cameras' built in web server allows for up to 9 cameras (I think) viewable on a page, so that might be an option too.

rpoet

IP camera viewing software

A few years ago, we did a security camera installation at our new Membrane water plant. Me and the other plant engineer downloaded several Demo versions of camera viewing software. We evaluated each one as far as easy to configure, camera drivers, flexibility, cost, and speed in the 'historical' mode.
We selected Exacqvision, and it is now running 32 cameras at the plant (Sony fixed and Panasonic PTZs), everyone is happy with it. That's what I'd suggest, download a few Demo versions and check them out. The manufacturer of ExacqVision has a very simple per-camera licenseing method too.

Thanks for the Replies, looks like I have some research to do. Does anyone have experience with Vivotek? They look like good cameras and a friend who does some video surveillance work on the side recommended them. I don't mind spending money for quality but these seem to be literally half the price as similar models from Axis.

A few years ago, we did a security camera installation at our new Membrane water plant. Me and the other plant engineer downloaded several Demo versions of camera viewing software. We evaluated each one as far as easy to configure, camera drivers, flexibility, cost, and speed in the 'historical' mode.
We selected Exacqvision, and it is now running 32 cameras at the plant (Sony fixed and Panasonic PTZs), everyone is happy with it. That's what I'd suggest, download a few Demo versions and check them out. The manufacturer of ExacqVision has a very simple per-camera licenseing method too.

ExacVision looks like very nice software and will do exactly what I need and more. Assuming the price isn't ridiculous that is probably what I will use.

Thanks for the Replies, looks like I have some research to do. Does anyone have experience with Vivotek? They look like good cameras and a friend who does some video surveillance work on the side recommended them. I don't mind spending money for quality but these seem to be literally half the price as similar models from Axis.

I've used D-Link, which are either made by Vivotek, or at least use the same subsystems. Had pretty good luck with them. I had three PTZ cameras with heated outdoor domes. As far as I know, they are still running well about 5 years in. They have an ActiveX control (VitaminControl) available that can be plugged into most SCADA software if you want to integrate video playback with SCADA. On this particular job, I used VitaminControl in CitectSCADA so remote operators could pull up the video to see what was happening at the plant.